Windows 7 Upgrading to Win 7 from Vista for Business

jo5030

Bought Win 7 Home Premium and want to upgrade my Vista Business based laptop. I had hoped to do the upgrade (rather than to clean install) but I gather that this is impossible. I am reluctant to do the clean install if I have to reinstall everything. It seems to me that I have a couple of options:

1. Install Win 7 as a dual boot, and then delete Vista when I am happy that everything is running OK in Win 7

2. Do the clean install and do the reinstall. I use Shadow Protect to back everything up to a separate drive - if I do this, can I just restore using that backup system?

What is your advice?

John

1. Install Win 7 as a dual boot, and then delete Vista when I am happy that everything is running OK in Win 7

2. Do the clean install and do the reinstall. I use Shadow Protect to back everything up to a separate drive - if I do this, can I just restore using that backup system?

You can and should do 1 no problem. As for the 2, you can still use Shadow Protect on your Vista's partition, or you can install and use it on 7. I don't understand your 2nd question, what do you mean ?

Why not reformatting your Vista's partition and then doing a clean install of 7 on it ? Or do you need both systems ?

cybercore - thanks for your quick response. What I meant in Q 2 was the following:

1. Do a complete backup of my data using Shadow Protect under Vista to my external drive
2. Do a complete install of Win 7, removing all trace of Vista etc
3. Restore my data from Shadow Protect (although I guess that I will have to handle that manually as it will no longer be able to restore automatically as the source drives will have changed
4. Reinstall my main apps, and re-link them to the restored data (where appropriate - .pst files. Firefox favourites, eWallet contents, RoboForm login details etc)

John

Back
Top Bottom