Windows 7 USB 3.0 on unsupported motherboard

gammarik

Hi all

I just bought a new case for my pc (CM Storm Trooper) and in the top front there is 2 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports build in (plus some other stuff) so i was wondering if there is a way that i can get the 3.0 ports working on my ASUS M4A77T Motherboard, which i don't think supports USB 3.0? Is there any adapter/PCI Interface that can make these ports useable?
Thank you in advance

/gammarik

According to what I see, it does do USB 3.0. Some motherboards may only have dedicated ports on the back and others may have mid board ports to connect front option. You need to check your owner's manual. If I am looking at the correct motherboard on the ASUS site, it says there are 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back. They are normally blue, but I do not see an reference to any other options. Maybe you could just connect 2.0 ports in the front.

There appears to be several versions of that motherboard. Is that the complete part number? Note the M4A77T does NOT support USB3.0. However, the M4A77T/USB3 does. So clearly, you need to verify your part numbers before moving forward.

If your board does support USB3.0, then you can just run the necessary 3.0 cables to your case's front panel connectors.

If your case does not support USB3.0, then you will need to add support, if you really need it. There are many to choose from, but first you need to determine which interface you want to use. You mentioned PCI, but if possible, I recommend PCIe. See, Google: PCIe to USB3.0. If you insist on using PCI, then, Google: PCI to USB3.0.

Do understand 3.0 will do you NO good, unless your devices are 3.0 also.

They are normally blue
Sadly, there is no industry standard on color coding. I have seen red, yellow, blue and black. What I typically see is motherboard makers use one color for 2.0 and a different color for 3.0. Basically, it is what their designers think looks pretty. :( Practicality seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Back
Top Bottom