Windows 7 USB-attached drive is not found

Commander_Cool

An external drive of mine that is attached via USB suddenly does not show up in Explorer. When I connected it to a different machine the driver installed OK and the drive was ID'd correctly as ST3160021A - but doesn't show up in Explorerer on that machine either.

Looking at the drives' LED indicator at startup it seems to initiate OK - the LED blinks rapidly for some seconds then lights steadily. What might be the problem?

Have you checked the FAQ with the manufacturer for a known issue of this type? Can you see the drive in the BIOS when attached? Does it show up under disk management...if so does it have a drive letter assigned to it?

Have you checked the FAQ with the manufacturer for a known issue of this type? Can you see the drive in the BIOS when attached? Does it show up under disk management...if so does it have a drive letter assigned to it?
It turned out to be a case related to and caused by deficiencies in internal memory - mine that is. I had recently deleted the volume in Disk Management but neglected to create and format a new volume.
Thanks for the Disk Management tip which, when I started DM and finished the job on the drive, brought this non-issue to a swift conclusion.

Last edited:
LOL...we all have those moments....glad you got it all sorted out.

"LOL...we all have those moments..." I believe they are called Senior Moments...well, at 56 perhaps I have to get used to them.
"...glad you got it all sorted out." Well, if you're half as glad as I am, then I'm twice as happy as you bassfisher.

Back
Top Bottom