Windows 7 USB device drivers will not install

xtropx

I am working on a PC that has proved to be rather troublesome. It will NOT install USB devices through windows update or by pointing to system32/driverstore. When I point to system32/driverstore it says "USB Composite Device - the system cannot find the file specified." These are devices that SHOULD work with MS default drivers.

I have tried:

System restore
Chkdsk /f from startup repair menus
sfc /scannow - reports that it find errors that it cannot fix. CBS log is attached
Ccleaner
Removing all PUPs and antivirus programs
Installing chipset drivers from manufacturer site

I am trying to avoid reinstalling here. This PC is coming back from ransomware virus cleaned by a kaspersky rescue disk. I have run and cleaned malware with a variety of other tools including SAS and Spybot

CBS LOG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12434617/CBS.log

System is an emachines EL1358G

AMD II X2 220 2.80Ghz

3.00GB RAM

64-Bit Windows 7 With SP1

First, the SFC seems to indicate it completed and repaired all the files. Those problem files all seemed to be in the
Windows\SysWOW64\wdi\perftrack directory. Can you think of a reason for this?

The \driverstore is not usually the directory used to hold the useable drivers. Try the Windows\System32\Drivers directory if it is necessary to do that.

Do the USB devices get noticed when plugged in? Have you tried different ports. With the device plugged in, you may be able to use Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and use the "scan for devices" to find the device. If you do that, is the device even found?

Last edited:
Back