Windows 7 USB Eject Media Not Working Properly--Only one ejects, then nothing

Skylark

I am running Windows 7, and I connect several external HDDs via a USB hub, leading to the PC on a single USB cable. I have recently installed Windows, and from the start, I have had problems ejecting the media. Here is how it goes:

I plug in the disks, they are all functioning, they show up and can be used.

I want to eject them so I can disconnect the cable. I go to the system tray, and must click the "show hidden icons" arrow to see the icon for "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media"; I click it and choose one of the disks to eject. Upon doing so, the disk ejects, and I remove it.

At that point, the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon moves to the main system ray area (not hidden)--but from this point on, it does not work. No matter how I click or right-click, there is no pop-up menu, no reaction at all. Right-clicking on each drive in the "Computer" window does not reveal any option to eject the disk safely.

Any solutions? Thanks!

Could you tell us the brand and model of the USB hub?

Are there any specific drivers for it?

When you choose to remove a device, what options are you given? Are all the devices set up the same way in Device Manager?

I don't know but I seem to agree with reghakr. Unless there is something that tells Windows there are separate devices on that one cable, how is it to know how to handle the power situation for sleep and such or remove only one device?

Thanks to all for replying.

The model is a Chinese-made Sigma USB Hub bought in Japan, where I live (http://www.amazon.co.jp/シグマAPO-USB2-0対応USB4ポートHUB-HBHA4シリーズ-ミラーグレー-HBHA4MGR/dp/B00074Z8K6); it is very simple, no drivers. It does not have an independent power supply, BTW.

I don't think it is a single-cable issue, as I have just recently found the same problem happening when I am not using the cable--the icon just sits in the system tray and does nothing when clicked. In the "Computer" window, I can eject USB drives by right-click on them, but the contextual menu for HDDs does not include such an option.

Saltgrass, you ask what options I am given when I choose to remove a device--my point, however, is that I am not able to find any options in normal ways. That is, there is no "Eject" option when I click on it, none in the menus (drop-down or pop-up), nothing in the system tray as the "Eject media" button simply plays dead and does nothing at all.

I have, however, since found that I can open the "Devices and Printers" control panel and eject all disks by right-clicking on the items there. But that's the only way. For now, that is what I am doing, but clearly, that's not how it is supposed to work...

Skylark.

I don't know if you've tried this, but.........

When ejecting the media, choose the drive letter rather than the device itself.

Back