Windows 7 USB, Ethernet Controllers not working on Startup

kvnrly

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. My laptop is an HP dv7t-2000. Everything worked fine until a windows update that I installed about a month ago. Basically every time I restart or shutdown my PC now, my ethernet, USB, and wireless adapter drivers will not load during startup or start. In device manager there are exclamation marks next to the network adapters and USB controllers. Each device has the cannot start code (10). If I uninstall the drivers or disable/enable them, they would automatically download from Microsoft and it would work correctly. It’s a huge hassle to constantly uninstall/enable the drivers every time I restart or turn on my PC. I’d prefer not to reformat as I’ve done it fairly recently. Any advice?
System:
HP dv7t-2000
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz)
4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (250GB x 2)
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4650

Welcome to the forums :)
Are you aware you can uninstall Windows updates? go to windows update in the control panel.
Also, check the event logs for anything related to driver errors or device failures.
:)

I didn't know that. I tried uninstalling the Windows Update that I installed around the date that the problem began and rebooted. It didn't work. :(

Check the event logs:
Open the start menu and type "event" and click "View Event Logs"
On the right hand side of the window that opens, expand "Cutom Views" followed by clicking Admin Events. Look for anything you think may be relevant.

My event logs were filled with things like this during the time of startup:

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\libusb0.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver. (event ID 1060)

The driver \Driver\libusb0 failed to load for the device HID\IrDeviceV2&Col04\2&3ad25118&0&0003. (event ID 219)

The driver \Driver\libusb0 failed to load for the device ACPI\ENE0100\4&1aea078c&0. (event ID 219)

The driver \Driver\libusb0 failed to load for the device ROOT\*TEREDO\0000. (event ID 219)

The driver \Driver\libusb0 failed to load for the device USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&17f20408&7.(event ID 219)

This is definitely a compatiblity problem.
Check your manufacturers website for the most update to date chipset drivers for your model.

" If I uninstall the drivers or disable/enable them, they would automatically download from Microsoft and it would work correctly."
Your basic need is to prevent MS from updating the drivers.

If you cannot get any satisfaction with new drivers, re Mitchells suggestion, try this:

Do you have your Updates set to automatic (First option)?

If so, whilst this is not a satisfactory solution, choose, instead, "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them"

You will get a notification, that new updates are available. Select the option to view them and right click any you see for your adapters, and choose "Hide". You will then not be offered them again, until an even newer update comes along.

After a bit of tinkering around, I managed to fix it. I'm not exactly sure what I did to fix it, as I did a bunch of different things. I think it had something to do with an out of date libusb0.sys file in my SYSWOW64 drivers folder.

Thanks for offering your advice, you've both been very helpful.

After a bit of tinkering around, I managed to fix it. I'm not exactly sure what I did to fix it, as I did a bunch of different things. I think it had something to do with an out of date libusb0.sys file in my SYSWOW64 drivers folder.

Thanks for offering your advice, you've both been very helpful.

Please try to remember what you did. I have the exact same problem. I tried updating the libusb0.sys file, but no luck. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Have you tried all the above suggestions? What about uninstalling your USB drivers and hope Windows reinstalls generic drivers?
Post back. :)

Back