Windows 7 USB ports actiing strangely

artoo

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting a strange problem that occurs when I plug a Segate USB protable HD into any of the USB ports on my computer. From time to time when I plug it in, after a few seconds I get a dialog box saying that the drive is not formatted and asks if I want to format it, even though it has a bunch of programs and data on it. I unplug it and wait a while before plunging it back in and I'm usually able to access the programs and data on the drive.

Thanks

Hi artoo, first thing I'd suggest is make a backup of everything on the drive FAST!
Is the HD a self-contained unit or is it an internal SATA or IDE disk in an enclosure?

the HD is a elf-contained unit and I don't seem to have this problem with other computers that I've tried. I recently had to do a re-installation of Windows when my internal HD crashed. I was starting to have this problem before that crash.

Check your USB drivers. Uninstall - re-install. It should do the trick. If it doesn't help, it may be a hardware problem, either with your motherboard or the USB gadget.

Back
Top Bottom