Windows Vista USB ports stopped working

So my USB ports just stopped working recently and I have tried everything to get them working I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them but It says "USB device is not recognized" From researching I have heard you can update something in the BIOS for the USB ports but when I go into the BIOS there is nothing to update all I find is to set priority for booting certain things such as "USB key" and USB com" What is it that I need to update and how do I do it? Or will I have to buy a USB PCI card?

Hi! What kind of computer do you have? If you're using Vista, have you taken SP2 yet? Do you use a USB "HUB"? I think the HUB takes a driver too...

So my USB ports just stopped working recently and I have tried everything to get them working I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them but It says "USB device is not recognized" From researching I have heard you can update something in the BIOS for the USB ports but when I go into the BIOS there is nothing to update all I find is to set priority for booting certain things such as "USB key" and USB com" What is it that I need to update and how do I do it? Or will I have to buy a USB PCI card?

What are you plugging in?

Hi! What kind of computer do you have? If you're using Vista, have you taken SP2 yet? Do you use a USB "HUB"? I think the HUB takes a driver too...

I am using a Acer Aspire 5100. I am currently downloading SP2. I do not use a USB HUB. Do you think downloading SP2 will fix this problem?

I am using a Acer Aspire 5100. I am currently downloading SP2. I do not use a USB HUB. Do you think downloading SP2 will fix this problem?
I was reading SP2 was supposed to be an improvement in the USB area. However, when the Beta was testing in March, it caused a Blue screen of death after hibernation. (A reoccurance of a previous problem)

I have my SP2 Update Hidden for the time being....

I was reading SP2 was supposed to be an improvement in the USB area. However, when the Beta was testing in March, it caused a Blue screen of death after hibernation. (A reoccurance of a previous problem)

I have my SP2 Update Hidden for the time being....

Ok, I didn't download it anyways because it kept failing on me anyways during the download. I hope I can figure this out soon because this is bugging the crap out of me!!!

If you want to check for any bios/driver updates then you can do so here:

Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Aspire 5100

Try and reload (take it from your manufacturer) your chipset....
You also might try "devmgmt,msc" (Scan for hardware changes) In Vista I would right click command prompt and select "run as administrater" Type in devmgmt.msc into "RUN" right click on filename in the search . (Choose run as administrator) If you have XP do it your way.....

This caught my eye, talking about USB PCI CARDS. They also suggest one could overload the USB, which would require a re-installation of motherboard drivers.. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back