Windows 7 User folder sub folders

honsbeek

Hello there ,

I have a question :

In my user folder I see the following sub folders ,

My Documents , My Pictures , Desktop , My music , My Contacts , Favorites , Download etc.

I wish to permanently remove a few of these folders , although I deleted , Desktop, My music , my contact etc. Windows 7 just re-spawns them after reboot apparently. How can
I make a fix to remove them from now on ? Thank you

Ralph

If you are trying to permanently remove them then you can't. They are System Folders.

If however you just don't want them in your Users Folder because they clutter it up you can relocate them.

Right click on a folder you want to move, select the Location tab, click on the Move button, navigate to your new location, I always "pre-make" a New Folder with its new name at its new location (a lot of new's there!!). Select your new folder. Then click Apply. If prompted to move all the documents contained in the folder, click yes for now, you can re-move them later. Then click OK.

Job Done!!

If, after you've moved them you find you get a replacement, it's usually just a shortcut to your new location and is safe to delete.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Elmer, My problem is just the opposite: I moved all four of my 'library folders' from my user directory to another partition (specifically created for data). All went well, in my user folder, I still have the shortcuts of three of them to the new location, except for one, the My Videos folder (fortunately it was still an empty folder - I am still experimenting/learning Win 7). I do not have this folder either in my user folder, or in the new location. Now, I tried to create a new My Videos folder in my user folder but it doesn't work. The pop-up message says that this folder already exists (although I can't see it in my user folder) and asks if I want to merge the two folders. Even if I say yes, then it still doesn't show up. I am afraid that this is some kind of a registry error. (Of course, I have restarted the computer several times since this problem popped up.) I would greatly appreciate any help. BTW, I am new in the Windows 7 Forum: Will I get an email notification if I get an answer (like in the Adobe Forums)? Or I have to check back to see if I got an answer? Either way, thank you very much for your help in advance, Laci.

Last edited:
Elmer, My problem is just the opposite: I moved all four of my 'library folders' from my user directory to another partition (specifically created for data). All went well, in my user folder, I still have the shortcuts of three of them to the new location, except for one, the My Videos folder (fortunately it was still an empty folder - I am still experimenting/learning Win 7). I do not have this folder either in my user folder, or in the new location. Now, I tried to create a new My Videos folder in my user folder but it doesn't work. The pop-up message says that this folder already exists (although I can't see it in my user folder) and asks if I want to merge the two folders. Even if I say yes, then it still doesn't show up. I am afraid that this is some kind of a registry error. (Of course, I have restarted the computer several times since this problem popped up.) I would greatly appreciate any help. BTW, I am new in the Windows 7 Forum: Will I get an email notification if I get an answer (like in the Adobe Forums)? Or I have to check back to see if I got an answer? Either way, thank you very much for your help in advance, Laci.

Go here:
User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Forums
Scroll down and read instructions. Number 11 is the fix for the My Videos folder.

p.s. You will get an automated email about replies if it's set like that in your account settings. To check if it is, just click "reply" to this, then click the button "Go advanced", wait a few seconds and more options will come up. See in "Subscriptions" if "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes" is checked. If it is, you're all set.

Back