Windows 7 Using Custom TCP/IP Settings in Different Locations

hudson81

A user on my LAN has a Windows 7 laptop that is used both at home and on my LAN.

On my LAN, it must use a static IP with a certain DNS server setting. I have set this up and it works fine.

But when the user takes it home and connects to their own wireless router, he reports the laptop is still trying to use the same IP settings, even though it is on a different network.

When the user uses the laptop at home, it must use DHCP to assign network settings.

How can I configure the laptop to use the appropriate settings based on where it is?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Use the tcp/ip properties to set automatic configuration using DHCP for the home network. Then select the alternate configuration tab and manually enter the settings for the work environment.

Use the tcp/ip properties to set automatic configuration using DHCP for the home network. Then select the alternate configuration tab and manually enter the settings for the work environment.

I see this Alternate Configuration tab...thank you.

I have a question, though...what will "trigger" Win 7 to use the Alternate Configuration? The settings on the General tab failing?

Thanks.

Back