Windows 7 Using Macrium Image Saver

Fenway16

Honorable Member
If I buy a new pc and wish to put all my files from my old pc onto it - how do I do it?? The are all backed up with the Macrium program on my external drive. Do I just plug it into the new pc and "hit" restore? Thank you.

Hi and thanks. I guess the part that confuses me is that the Macrium is a backup/copy of an old system and is used to restore systems in trouble. So to put info on a new computer it is not restoring up but copying files over to new system, correct? The corresponding folder on the new pc is??? Sorry for confusion - do appreciate your input.

Having create a full backup image of your old system Macrium may be used in one of two different modes. You may:

1. Run it to completely recover your old system in its entirety. You don't this option of course!

2. Boot Macrium from a USB stick and use Macrium to "mount" your old image as a virtual drive. This will enable you to navigate the virtual drive selection files and folders as you require and restore them selectively to your new system.

It is currently on an external WD drive. That will work won't it? Or do I copy the file off the current image version onto a USB stick? Then I will navigate to my pictures folder or whichever folder I wish to move and copy (restore) them over to the new system. Sorry for all the duh!! Thanks again.

I don't have it on a usb. I think I do remember however that some people use usb rather than dvd as not all systems have dvd players anymore. Is that it? So if that is the case I would use the dvd to do what you say. True? Thanks again.

ok. got it. So the sequence is start the Reflect program from the dvd - . Navigate to the folders on the external drive and copy them over to the new system...yes? When you say "mount " you just mean "load the program" - yes? Hopefully my old system will last so I won't have to worry about the details ($$$) and this Macrium stuff with a new one. Thanks again.

All correct xcept - "mount" means use Macrium to load up the system image on your external which will assign a drive letter to the image making it look like a drive which you can then navigate. To acually do the mounting you need to use the Macrium menu tab "restore" the select "explore image" from the pull down menu list and navigate to your Macrium image on the external drive.

Thanks so much for letting me pick your brain. Now it is clear what I need to do since you explained it so clearly. Also, Macrium is not operating system dependent is it? If I get a new pc, it will probably have 10 on it rather than 7. Also, if I do have problems, I assume I can use sys restore as a rescue. Again, thank you.

If you have 2 different OS then you can not use the restore feature unless you want it to be win7. Restore will overwrite win10. If you want win10 then you will only be able to pull data files off the image. That is when you would use the mount feature and be able to copy data to the new OS.
You will also need to reinstall all your programs.

If you have 2 different OS then you can not use the restore feature unless you want it to be win7. Restore will overwrite win10. If you want win10 then you will only be able to pull data files off the image. That is when you would use the mount feature and be able to copy data to the new OS.
You will also need to reinstall all your programs.
I wasn't suggesting he run a full restore - it's just that the function to browse the image to recover selective files and folders is under the restore tab on Macrium. (Macrium includes full image restore and selective restores under the sam tab).

Thanks so much for letting me pick your brain. Now it is clear what I need to do since you explained it so clearly. Also, Macrium is not operating system dependent is it? If I get a new pc, it will probably have 10 on it rather than 7. Also, if I do have problems, I assume I can use sys restore as a rescue. Again, thank you.
Yes, the full restore function of Macrium will recover your Windows 7. If for some reason you decide you want to do that I STRONGLY recommend you make a separate Macrium image of your new Windows 10 system. Come to think of it I would recommend yo make one before doing anything else then you can recover from and problems from mistakes, data corruption and even had drive failure. The first of such backups should include all hard drive partitions (not just the C drive) - that's why I make Macrium backups weekly and keep the latest three images.

Back
Top Bottom