Using two sets of speakers for audio output?

Hello. I am trying to connect to sets of speakers to my computer. My sound card has multiple outputs, and I get all speakers to output with the test option in playback devices, but I can't actually make anything use all 4 speakers, they only use the two front speakers. I would like both speakers to play the same audio in unison, so if anybody has a solution it would be greatly appreciated!

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Which Sound card do you have Kyle?

Essential Member
Typically you can have only one "set" of speakers connected to a system at a time. Most mobo's and sound card's only have one input section, it may have multi-ports but it's still just the one input section. There may be an adapter to connect to split the input panel into 2 but I've not seen one.

Your only option is to get a 5.1 surround speaker setup if you want use more than two speakers.

As a work around and I don't suggest doing it, but you could splice the 2nd set of speakers to the the first set by cutting the wires directly and attaching the 2nd set that way. I did this back in the late 70's and early 80's before there was surround sound to get 4 speakers working.

Ah, I gotcha. I think the splitter is probably my best bet in that case. It's interesting that the sound card has so many output but can only take one input at a time. Thanks for all the help!

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.