Windows 10 Various BSOD errors

First, just out of interest have you tried running the diagnostic specified on this page:
Resolve Hardware Issues Using ePSA or PSA Diagnostics and Guide to Error Codes | Dell US

Personally I would at least try a clean install of some type. Now if what you say is true and Windows 7 is already on the system then it might be in a hidden partition so you can restore to factory defaults. See your support page on how this is achieved.
I think this page is for Latitiudes but do check:
Using the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager 1.3 | Dell US

Or you could try a clean install of Windows 10. You will need to download the iso and pop it onto a USB. This media creation tool will help you with that:
Windows 10

You should be able to use your Windows 7 key to activate or get the iso.

As a last resort you could always ask a friend with a machine that does have a DVD drive to help you turn the 8.1 iso from disk to USB
This guide shows how:
How to convert Windows 8/8.1 Installation disk to USB Installation drive

Hello,
The PSA diagnostic are very first test I ran when BSODs started happen since it installed in pre-boot options, But as you say it, I ran it once again, the results are ok, of course:
DSC_0355.jpg

There are some problems midway, but I finally can reset my computer to factory state (Windows7), :
DSC_0354.jpg

But when I ran windows update it always crashed midways, at the time I opened the resource monitor while running:
resmon.png

As you can see, although the CPU usage only, it reach over maximum frequency, I suspect it means that while some processors were over-clocked, the other stay idle (or dead)!? - The system crashed a short time after.

I investigate in BIOS settings, under Performance tab, there are some things that interested me:

Intel Turbo Boost: Enable
Intel Speedstep:
Enable
C-state control: Enable
Hyperthread control: Enable

I changed the configuration to:
Intel Turbo Boost: Enable
Intel Speedstep:
Disable
C-state control:
Disable
Hyperthread control: Disable

The system is stable after that, I can run windows update and other tasks without crash , but always 50% CPU load and I have to deal with fan noise (this means more energy and age consumption). I will try different configuration to find the optimal solution. I would be glad you have any clear explanation or advise regarding those configurations.

In addition, I don't want to upgrade to win10 yet, so how do I prevent win 7 upgrade to 10 out of of my notice?
Regards,

Last edited:
Very interesting thank you.

Ok the reason why your cpu had a frequency of 108% is probably due to boost. This is a normal operation where the chip under certain conditions ie, it has enough power and is cool enough, will 'turboboost' or overclock to a higher setting. Most modern chips either cpu or gpu do this.
Speedstep and C-state control control the lowering of the cpu to lower power states.
Hyperthreading control is where another working thread is created alongside your physical core. So if you have a 4 core chip it can work up to 8 possible threads. This is probably why your only seeing 50% usage as you've turned off half the chip with disabling Hyperthreading.
This explains things a little better:
Should you Overclock with SpeedStep, C1E, or Turbo Boost Enabled?
I wonder if your issue is linked to overheating? As your cpu isn't running with all it's threads it's running cooler. Can you check your temps when it's running on default settings? This app is the best for monitoring temperatures:
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download
Try and temps for at rest and at full load.
Use this application to stress test:
Download Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

As for stopping the win 10 upgrade try this:
Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon

Cpu.png
Hyperthreading control is where another working thread is created alongside your physical core. So if you have a 4 core chip it can work up to 8 possible threads. This is probably why your only seeing 50% usage as you've turned off half the chip with disabling Hyperthreading.

Sorry it was my typo mistake that make you misunderstanding, I mean CPU load always higher than 50% when I config like these, while normally it just below 30% with default settings. The turn off half of the chip you mentioned I think it is related to Multicore support (its like using only one core instead of dual core physically).
DSC_0356.jpg

Normally when I enable Hyper thread, I can see 4 panel on the red area, now I disable it, it return to 2 :

Last edited:
yes of course with more cycles the load is spread further and hence the lower figure.

In any case, did you check on temps at all?

Yeah, I recorded the temperature while idle and stress test under default settings (Intel Turbo Boost: Enable, Intel Speedstep: Enable, C-state control: Enable, Hyperthread control: Enable), in both cases the system crash midways so I was unable to take screenshot, but those SCV files can help.
stress.zip
I also uploaded the dumps during the tests if you are interested (040316-8626-01.zip)

On the other hand, when I disable the hyperthread control (the others are enable) , CPU temperature under stress even go higher (92oC) compare with default settings, but no crashed at all, as you can see this picture.
tempstress.png

Attachments

• stress.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 040316-8626-01.zip
    306.6 KB · Views: 622
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {4, 2, 0, fffff8800423f2af}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Netwsw02.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Netwsw02.sys
Probably caused by : Netwsw02.sys ( Netwsw02+182af )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you had bugchecks of E3 (lost resource), 3B (graphic driver and pooled memory) and 1A (Memory management).
The above bugcheck was the only one to mention a driver and relates to the Intel WiFi Networking driver. Try installing the version for windows 7 from the support page:
Product Support | Dell US

Try running the machine on just one stick of RAM and see if there's one which doesn't bsod.

I also noticed you had some firmware updates for the SSD and wonder if you'd applied them? They are under 'Serial ATA':
Product Support | Dell US

Your temps do look high regardless and wonder if you have any dust in the vents or similar?

Hmm scratch that.. I just checked on how you access the RAM and it isn't easy:

If you can I'd try and get the machine checked out at a good Dell stockist or Computer store. If you bought the machine recently then chances are it's still under warranty and something does not sound right with this machine. Tests turn up nothing but yet it acts the way it does, usually thats down to hardware failure of some kind but as to what exactly is unclear.

@kemical knows these things and doesn't need my approval, but I agree with his thoughts about this problem being a hardware failure! I also think your temps are a little high.
Good luck!;)
Capture48.JPG

Hello, sorry for the late comeback. After our constructive discussion I tried to turn off hyperthread, and got very few (=<5) BSOD over the last 4 years. I also upgraded to win 10. Despite the BSOD still happened sometimes but I think the problem that we worked on this topic was solved by turn off hyperthread. Again i am thank you for your supports and I hope that this topic can some how contribute for the community.

Back