Windows 8 VERY slow wifi

aparker2005

Hey everyone, just downloaded and installed 8 Pro. I love it, but my internet is extremely slow now. My wife and I were streaming netflix last night and it kept buffering. It never did this on W7.

I just did a speed test on my phone and got 4.9 Mbps. I did the test on my laptop and I got .89 Mbps. I tried updating my drivers but it says everything is up to date.

I did an in place upgrade because I didn't want to have to deal with moving music/pictures/files back and forth this time. Any help? Thanks!

Computer is:
HP Pavilion g7-1019wm Notebook PC
Intel Pentium R CPU P6300 2.27 GHz
4 GB Ram
Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit

Hi,
normally laptop/notebook drivers are available from the manufacturer so try HP's support pages for your machine. They probably won't have a win 8 driver so use the win 7 network driver instead. Failing that you might be better off doing a custom install instead.

That didn't work at all. Got all of the W7 drivers installed and am still having this problem. My wife's W7 laptop is running just fine. Streams HD quality. Mine buffers youtube videos at the lowest quality now. Besides a clean install, any other options?

It would seem that this is an issue that effects quite a few users and it may be a case of waiting until drivers mature or a work around is discovered but do check forums dedicated to your manufacturer or laptop. They'll be out there you just need to google them.

You could try installing the drivers under compatibility mode and making sure the firmware on the router is fully updated.

Back