Windows 7 Virtual XP Crashes After First Update

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Any Virtual XP experts here?

I found this system to be very fragile.

The problem is that I cannot update the XP. On rebooting after the first update, the whole thing goes pear-shaped and eventually locks up and requires re-installation.

My solution to now is to switch off updates. Hardly an elegant solution, but it works!

Any ideas why this should be? I don't want to have to re-install it too often.

Are you talking about a legit install of XP Mode? If it's some type of hack MS is getting better at detecting violations. I think now they invalidate Windows if language packs have been installed on a non eligible edition with some crack. So they have more than one way to check up on violators of ULA.
Joe

usually perfectly stable what I saw with XP-Mode and a Vista VM - you probably have a hardware issue?!

Are you talking about a legit install of XP Mode?

Yes, of course - the XP that comes with Windows 7 Professional (or at least that which can be download after MS has checked your credentials then installed as a VM in Win-7).

If it's some type of hack MS is getting better at detecting violations. I think now they invalidate Windows if language packs have been installed on a non eligible edition with some crack. So they have more than one way to check up on violators of ULA.
Joe
That's all to the good, but it isn't the case here, mine is a perfectly legitimate copy.

usually perfectly stable what I saw with XP-Mode and a Vista VM - you probably have a hardware issue?!
That's always possible, but annoying in that I cannot update the OS. Rebooting after the first update causes a login screen to appear which wasn't eviden on the first boot. Then a series of incomprehensible error messages then freezes. Killing it and rebooting into it has the same terminal result. When it works, it works well (I can even process external sound). It has only a few apps installed along with Avast antivirus; using the MS security tools, with auto updates disabled.

Does the MS Security tools have an antivirus in it? If so it could be a conflict there with Avast causing problems. You can only have one antivirus installed or will have problems. Some people try and get help here with hacked stuff is why I asked. And XP Mode is different than a stand alone Virtual PC.
Joe

That's always possible, but annoying in that I cannot update the OS. Rebooting after the first update causes a login screen to appear which wasn't eviden on the first boot. Then a series of incomprehensible error messages then freezes. Killing it and rebooting into it has the same terminal result. When it works, it works well (I can even process external sound). It has only a few apps installed along with Avast antivirus; using the MS security tools, with auto updates disabled.

thanks for the detailed problem description

what are your system specs concerning ram /CPU speed/free hdd space / hardware virtualization supported?
Are there other general stability issues outside XP-Mode VM? - if so likely a hardware issue.

something went wrong with your installation of either XP-mode or virtual PC - I suggest to try it again (remove both first) all provided you got plenty space available.

I would not install Avast - try without first and keep in mind XP-mode, by default, installs with only 512MB ram..depending on what software you use it can easily thrash your HDD due to excessive pagefile activities. You can change that at setup time if needed.

Does the MS Security tools have an antivirus in it?

I've just checked in the Security Centre. No, it looks to Avast to provide antivirus protection and is aware that it is available and working. Or so I thought, but it says that 'Windows Firewall helps to protect your computer against viruses and other threats...' Then on an MS info page it says that it doesn't protect against viruses and spyware! Given the definition of a firewall I'm inclined to think that it doesn't include virus protection. The Windows Firewall is switched on. Automatic Updates are switched off.

If so it could be a conflict there with Avast causing problems. You can only have one antivirus installed or will have problems.
Joe
Failing a resolution of the problem, I'll simply leave updates switched off.

thanks for the detailed problem description

what are your system specs concerning ram /CPU speed/free hdd space / hardware virtualization supported?

I don't know about virtualisation support, but these are my specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Desktop
Processor: Intel Core-2 Duo
Motherboard: Award? EP41T-UD3L
Video: Nvidia GE Force 9500GT 1MB
Memory: 4GB
Hard Drives: 2 x 1 TB Samsung HD1039SJ
Network Adapter: On board
Monitor: Acer V203H 1600x900
Optical Drives: Super Writemaster SpeedPlus + LiteOn iHAS324
Anti-virus: Avast Free
Firewall: Windows

Are there other general stability issues outside XP-Mode VM? - if so likely a hardware issue.

Only a problem with CD Burner XP taking over 1.5 minutes to launch (on the Windows 7 installation, not in the VM).

something went wrong with your installation of either XP-mode or virtual PC - I suggest to try it again (remove both first) all provided you got plenty space available.

Can't be! Four re-installs and all produce the same problem. Note: with the files downloaded afresh each time: 'windowsxpmode_en-us.exe' being installed first, followed by
'itpx64_1033_7.10.344.0.exe'.

I would not install Avast - try without first and keep in mind XP-mode, by default, installs with only 512MB ram..depending on what software you use it can easily thrash your HDD due to excessive pagefile activities. You can change that at setup time if needed.

The setup process doesn't offer any setup parameters. How are they accessed?

Did you try turning off all your antivirus and antispyware while you install the XP Mode? I know VMware is cranky about installing its tools and I have to shut off Avast and Spy Sweeper to avoid problems. If I don't I have trouble with the virtial video card.
Joe

Did you try turning off all your antivirus and antispyware while you install the XP Mode? I know VMware is cranky about installing its tools and I have to shut off Avast and Spy Sweeper to avoid problems. If I don't I have trouble with the virtial video card.
Joe

I may have cured the problem:

On the Windows-7 desktop, I had problems with CDBurnerXP taking 2 mins to launch. I uninstalled Avast and put Avira in its place. That cured the problem on Win-7.

I did the same in Virtual XP and was able to apply all appropriate updates without crashing the machine, so I think (hope) the problem is now solved.

It seems rather bizarre that two popular security apps (Avast and Commodo) should cause such problems!

Is Comodo just the firewall or the whole package which does have an antivirus. You have to watch the Comodo install carefully to get what you want. For a while they had some crap tool bars set to install by default. I only install the firewall and nothing else.
Joe

Re: Virtual XP Crashes After First Update [SOLVED]

Is Comodo just the firewall or the whole package which does have an antivirus.

I had the whole package installed.

You have to watch the Comodo install carefully to get what you want. For a while they had some crap tool bars set to install by default. I only install the firewall and nothing else.
Joe
It's now long gone. All seems to be running satisfactorily. We'll call this [SOLVED] I think.

Thanks yet again to all who responded.

Re: Virtual XP Crashes After First Update [SOLVED]

Avast?.. not that I really wonder!

glad you got it sorted

Back
Top Bottom