Windows Vista Vista and 8800GTS problems

DexX

A while ago i acquired a copy of windows Vista Ultimate (64 bit) and went to install it.
Every time i went to do this, my computer would either shut down, or the display would just go black.

The copy of Vista was from a mate and so it definitely worked, but for some reason it just wouldnt install. For the first time it happened, i presumed it was just part of the installation, but after waiting for 20 minutes and nothing happened, i restarted my PC. The second time my computer would get a little further in the installation before dying again. This happened four of five times before i gave up and reinstalled XP.

A while later, i got my hands on a 32bit Vista Ultimate, and the same thing happened. I did manage to finish the installation though. But when i was setting everything up, it died yet again.

Now i am looking at buying my own copy of Vista, but because of my past experiences, i wanted to make sure everything was ok, so i downloaded Microsoft's Windows Vista upgrade advisor.

Once the scan completed, it told me almost everything was ok, other than a few incompatible programs (such as activesync and symantec anti virus)....Then i read on and it said my Video card wouldnt support Windows Vista.

My system is:
Mobo: p35-ds3r
Video Card: 8800GTS 512mb Galaxy
CPU: q6600 2.44ghz
RAM: 2gb 800mhz DDR2 Corsair
HDD: 1x 250gb 16mb

Any help or advice would be great. I dont have another card i can put in to test it though.

I have read on other forums that people have had problems with their 8800GTS and vista, but nothing to tell me how to fix it.

I can't see why your card won't run vista?? It's a later version than mine (mines a 320MB version) and vista runs just fine.. I've read your post and have to say I'm at a loss to explain why you were getting the black screens.. Then again you don't mention your PSU, could you post it's spec please so I can try and get a fuller picture of the situation.
Thanks

My whole system is supported by vista (or should be)

My rig:

PSU: Corsair 620
RAM: Corsair 2gb 800mhz
Mobo: P35-dsr3
CPU: q6600 2.44ghz
GPU: 8800GTS 512mb
HDD: 250 gb SATA
Monitor: VW222u

If you need more, just ask.

As for the drivers. I have them updated, but i didnt think that would matter if i'm switching to another OS that requires different drivers.
I initially tried 64 bit, but when that didnt work, i went back to XP, and then the following Weekend, i tried 32

I've just been checking and there is no reason why your system shouldn't run vista. Could you copy and paste the section where you saw that your card was not compatible.
Thanks

Oh the reason I asked about your PSU was to ensure it was powerfull enough, which it easily is.

Thanks for the input...

Well I'm not sure why it's saying that about your card. If you check here:
GeForce 8800 These are all or some of the cards which are DX10 compatible and which Nvidia recommends for vista.
The reason why you were getting problems with the other copies is I suspect because they were pirate material?

Thanks for that Kemical,
Im getting myself a legit copy of Vista 64 bit in a week or 2. I'll let u know how it goes.

Good call Kemical. I was thinking the same thing seeing as how the switch went from 64 to 32 in a matter of weeks. I have an 8800GTS from PNY and a legal copy of Ultimate 32bit and I had no problems at all.

Back