Windows 7 Vista Business to Win 7 home premium upgrade

Roof

Hi All,

It is probably somewhere on the net but i can't really find it so i decided to post the question here.

My wife has a toshiba laptop with legal copy Vista Business OEM on it, And would like to get Windows 7 home premium.

If she gets the upgrade version can we just do a clean install or am i going to get in all sorts of problems ?

On my Desktop i just installed the upgrade on a clean hdd and had no problems but i did have the number for vista home premium.

Can someone say on this forum just buy the upgrade and you have no problems or do i have get the professional or ultimate upgrade ??

Thanks so much.

Roof

54 Views and no replys...hmmmmm

Guess i have to keep searching

Thanks for nothing guys

You should not have any problems if you perform a "clean" install.

Make sure to save all your important documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc to a flash drive.

Be aware, you'll need to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

Upgrade options:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 or SP2 -> Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business SP1 or SP2 -> Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 or SP2 -> Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks Guys.

Just to check, it would run better on the laptop....wouldn´t it....

Don´t ask me for specs cause i can´t see them...i´m in holland and my wife is in australia.

She just whinges about a slow computer and thought that this would solve the problem...

Windows Vista: Compare editions

Windows 7: Compare Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate

Yes, an upgrade to a newer os but a downgrade edition wise. Vista Business > 7 Home is not possible going the Microsoft upgrade route:

Windows: Windows 7 Upgrade Option Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

microsoft upgrade faqs said:
Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roof said:
She just whinges about a slow computer and thought that this would solve the problem...

7 won't necessarily give her a whole lot of extra speed, it depends on what she does.

Windows 7 Benchmarks – XP vs Vista vs 7 | PaulSpoerry.com

Windows 7 vs. Vista Graphics Performance - Crysis - OS, Software & Networking by ExtremeTech

Add to that the new features and looks of 7:

Top Windows 7 Features That Vista Should Have Had - HotHardware

Windows 7: What is Windows 7?

Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

She can upgrade Vista Business to 7 Professional, but keep in mind that the upgraded 7 is not as fast as 7 clean installed:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks Guys.

Just to check, it would run better on the laptop....wouldn´t it....

Don´t ask me for specs cause i can´t see them...i´m in holland and my wife is in australia.

If I understand your question, you are asking if the system is eligible to use the Upgrade package or will it need the Full package.
The answer is that yes, you can putchase the Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade package and upgrade your system from any earlier version of Windows.

That said, you should be aware that the Upgrade package allows both an inplace upgrade or a clean install upgrade from the Upgrade package. Which you use depends on your circumstances and in your case, I believe you will be required to do a clean install (what Microsoft calls a "Custom" install). An in-place upgrade migrates all your existing configurations, data and applications "in place" (although you are well advised to have a complete backup available). A clean install type of upgrade erases everything and does a fresh install of the Win 7 and you are then faced with the rather daunting task of reinstalling and reconfiguring 'everything' and then reintegrating your old data from your backup.

As I said, I believe you will be required to do the clean install (Custom) type of upgrade.

Back