Windows Vista Vista screen blacks out on bootup

RIPSNORT

Something started last evening I haven't seen before. Upon reboot, when the wallpaper is up and all the icons, the screen will black out the same way when a program is booted up and is not aero compatible. The screen blacks out for a couple seconds, and then comes up ok.

Having not done this before, and no programs having been booted up at all, does anyone know why it will do that? Answers & help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Could be issues with your video driver, make sure its up-to-date and/or reinstall it (prolly from safe mode would be best for that).

If its only happening on bootup, its likely some service/application starting up thats causing the issue. I'd suggest downloading AutoRuns (Link Removed due to 404 Error) and try disabling some apps/services running on startup to see if you can pinpoint what is causing the problem.

Note: If you are not really computer saavy, take your time with disabling things and KNOW what you are disabling (Google will be your friend for looking things up).

HTH.
Rick

Thanks for the feedback Rick ... it could so be a driver problem. I'm using Vista Home Premium & have tried updating the monitor driver, but Windows is saying it's the most up to date.
Being a newbie at this, I'm not sure what particular driver might be affected or how to update it if indeed it does need to be updated or reinstalled.

When you say "monitor driver" do you mean "video driver"? Your monitor will likely have a driver, but the video driver is for your video card (different things). Try RadarSync to make sure your drivers are up to date...

Go to Link Removed - Invalid URL
Click Get Started Now
Click the Start button from the left hand monitor picture
It will ask you to install something
    • Click Save and save it to your desktop
    • Dont close the web page
    • Run the install after it downloads
    • During the installation, UNCHECK the option to install the IE toolbar
When the installation is done, go back to the web page, after a few seconds it will ask you to install and ActiveX control, install it
Now the left hand monitor picture will show "Go Find Updates", click it
Click View Updates when its done to show available driver updates

Going to have you use your best judgement on what to update. If that doesnt help, try using the AutoRuns program I mentioned before to disable some of the start up programs.

HTH,
Rick

Thanks again Rick for your efforts in to fathom this mystery. The *RadarSync* is another one of them there programs which shows one all the problems (supposedly) and then a slight charge of only 29.95 for a whole one year of downloading drivers.

Actually, I think it showed something like three drivers associated with the cpu (again I think if I remember correctly).
Thirty dollars spend and probably no fix leaves one wondering why one hadn't invested that much money in Tim Hortons!?!

Today, my system slowed to a crawl ... something I hadn't seen before. No viruses / spam / trojan horses that I can find with SuperAntiSpyware / LavaSoft Ad-aware / Norton 360 etc .... and nothing seemingly making the hard drive act up either. Then suddenly, lo & behold ... all is well again. If you've something else up your sleeve, let'er come this way. Thanks!

Yea, the service to download cost money, but the check doesnt. The check will let you know whats out of date then you can go to the manufacturers website to get the drivers for free. The check is a one-stop-shop to see where you stand rather than checking all of your driver versions manually then having to to check with each manufacturer. Its just a tool.

Did you try AutoRuns and disabling some of the applications that launch during startup?

Rick

I brought down one update Rick which was for Realtek. The AutoRuns is too complicated for an ordinary joe as myself.
I only tried something like this once before, and I had the great joy of having to reinstall Windows. That meant a scurried trip to the drugstore for Tums.

Apparently the Black Screen Boot up problem that you are having is because of the most recent Windows Vista automatic download (which is why automatic downloads should always be turned off). Apparently a lot of people are super pissed about it. The solution that you came up with ....

to open the task manager (ctrl-alt-delete), click file, click New Task, and type in explorer.exe then hit ok. This should finish loading windows.

apparently works, however some geek found a way to solve the problem if it keeps happening.

Exploring Our Matrix: The Vista Black Screen After Login Mystery...Solved!

First, download the free Autoruns program,
Link Removed - Invalid URL
which is made by Sysinternals (a Microsoft-owned company). Thanks to Scott Dunn, whose article "Fast Windows Fixes" in the latest issue of PC World recommended this program.

Once you've downloaded and installed the program, right click on it and run it as an administrator.

Next, once the program is running, you will see a list of all the start-up functions in the registry and elsewhere. You will probably want to look for places where it says a file that the registry is supposed to load is not found, and either uncheck that entry or change the location to the one where the file is, if it still exists on your computer.

The key to solving the black screen is a file called lsass.sys. I found the problem initially because it was looking for that file in C:\Windows\Config\ instead of in C:\Windows\System32\ where it is actually located. But changing the location did not solve the problem (I mention my doing so simply because this was a step I took, and I have no way of telling whether it was significant in the resolution).

The final step I took that solved the problem was to uncheck the command to run lsass.sys at startup/login. Once I did this and then closed the program and restarted my computer, it worked properly.

Thank you for the reply. I have not found the lsass.sys in the autoruns after having looked two times through it. I'll give the automatic downloads a try.
I'm writing this to acknowledge your reply and help. It's much appreciated. I'll post again if I find the culprit.

hank you for the reply. I have not found the lsass.sys in the autoruns after having looked two times through it. I'll give the automatic downloads a try.
I'm writing this to acknowledge your reply and help. It's much appreciated. I'll post again if I find the culprit.

Now we've got a new problem here ... instead of being able to post in a new and separate window, I'm adding lines to your reply. There is no place here I can see to edit or delete this, so till someone fathoms this weird and wonderful thing out, I'll have to go with this.

Thank you for the reply. I have not found the lsass.sys in the autoruns after having looked two times through it. I'll give the automatic downloads a try.

Back