Windows Vista Vista shows more mem that is installed?

scajjr2

I took what was my old system (K8NHA Grand nForce 3 250Gb mobo, Athlon 64 3400+ w/2Gb ram) and put together a system for my fiance to use up in our exercise/music room. Decided to try Vista x64 on it and it installed and runs fine. The odd thing is Vista shows the system as having 4Gb of memory when there is only 2 in it. Motherboard has a 2Gb max limit anyway.

Is Vista showing me a page or swap file along with the system ram?

Sam

What kind of graphics card do you have in that thing? Vista X64 has the potential 4gb and up to 16 whatever. A sizable graphics card can handle more RAM. At least that is what I thought.....

I took what was my old system (K8NHA Grand nForce 3 250Gb mobo, Athlon 64 3400+ w/2Gb ram) and put together a system for my fiance to use up in our exercise/music room. Decided to try Vista x64 on it and it installed and runs fine. The odd thing is Vista shows the system as having 4Gb of memory when there is only 2 in it. Motherboard has a 2Gb max limit anyway.

Is Vista showing me a page or swap file along with the system ram?

Sam

Strange, I've heard of vista/xp not being able to see RAM but never seeing more than there actually is....

I tried googling this subject but to no avail. The only thing I can think of is because it's quite an old mobo.. Have you checked to see if there is a bios update?

Celestra- the video card is a XFX Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP card. Does give a 4.1 Windows Experience index ( my Phenom II X3-720 w/ HD4830 512mb PCIe2 card is 5.8).

Kemical- I had to flash the BIOS on the mobo last summer when I went from 1 to 2 gig of ram as it only would see 1Gb. Granted the "latest" is still a 4 year old bios so who knows.

Sam

Celestra- the video card is a XFX Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP card. Does give a 4.1 Windows Experience index ( my Phenom II X3-720 w/ HD4830 512mb PCIe2 card is 5.8).

Kemical- I had to flash the BIOS on the mobo last summer when I went from 1 to 2 gig of ram as it only would see 1Gb. Granted the "latest" is still a 4 year old bios so who knows.

Sam

Hi Sam- If both Bios and Windows report the "wrong" amount of RAM, you probably have modules that are not compatible with your system, are defective, or are installed in the wrong combination. Check your motherboard or system manual for details.

This is what someone suggested: You might try running MSCONfiG (Start/MsConfig/Entry) and Boot then advanced options... check to make sure maximum memory isn't checked. If it is not, then you might check to see if your Bios recognizes the memory. If not, it may be the wrong memory for your laptop.
(I believe you should have more RAM if you want to run as a VistaX64 4-6 GB)

Celestra- It's not a laptop. It is basically the guts of my old system (mobo/cpu/ram/vid card) along with a spare hard drive and DVD drive in a spare case I had. And I was using it up until about 10 days ago.

The BIOS shows 2Gb (PC3200) so that's not it. Did a clean install of Vista x64. System runs fine, just odd Vista shows system has 4Gb of ram. I would like to add more but the board is at it's max of 2Gb.

Sam

Celestra- It's not a laptop. It is basically the guts of my old system (mobo/cpu/ram/vid card) along with a spare hard drive and DVD drive in a spare case I had. And I was using it up until about 10 days ago.

The BIOS shows 2Gb (PC3200) so that's not it. Did a clean install of Vista x64. System runs fine, just odd Vista shows system has 4Gb of ram. I would like to add more but the board is at it's max of 2Gb.

Sam

Thought you should upgrade. Vista X64 can use a full 4 GB for system operations. Something is not OK. (Laptops have the same problems, you probably can check your Desk Top the same way.) There is a function in the Bios called "Memory Mapping". Have you ever used it ? I'm not sure if it will help, it might. Maybe it is an old Mobo, maybe parts mismatched, wrong type RAM etc.

How can I disable UAC ( User Account Control ) on my Windows Vista ?
It should be able to be done from "User Settings" in "Control Panel" However in build 5472 this is not working for me ! Here are a few alternate methods.

Back