Windows 7 Visual Studio 2015 doesn't want to begin

roberts45213

I start up Visual Studio 2015, it shows me this
81b0494e50.png

I have a Microsoft account, and have signed in and logged out many times on this screen.

But if I click the Close button, or the Top X, the whole program closes rather than just the login screen.

It tells me my license has expired despite the program being free.

I use windows 7.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, that's what I downloaded. Is still says its free, yet it still requires a license. All I can do in this screen is add an account, which I have many times, but it changes nothing. Any attempt to actually use this program results in the program closing, or telling me that my license expired.

It doesn't look like the current community edition - I'd uninstall it, reboot, download the current community edition and reinstall.

Funnily enough, I did do that. This is like the 4th-5th time I've installed this program, and it's still like this.

Just for this I'm going to uninstall and reinstall again, and hope that this one turns out ok.

Maybe run a registry cleanup first to remove any history of other installs.

Surprise! The same thing.
ba00e35ebf.png

I downloaded it again (I checked for the most modern version) and it still says my license has expired.
And pressing X or Close still closes the entire program.

I run the installer off today for a test on my wx laptop (don't have a w7 anymore sorry) and it downloaded/ installed fine with a skip login screen.
Screenshot (262).png

Screenshot (266).png

Looks like it was "free" only during the pre-release period which has now expired. Have a look at the free community edition:

Free Dev Tools - Visual Studio Community 2015
VS isn't a program I much like but the link works.

p.s. be warned when you try to remove it that the un-install tool will in fact install all the 3rd party crap back onto your system instead... typical Microsoft.

Last edited:
I've installed the community edition and it works fine. Have you uninstalled, rebooted, run a registry cleanup (recommend ccleaner), rebooted and reinstalled?

Uninstalled Visual Studio and all it's components, cleared cache using ccleaner, rebooted, reinstalled, got these errors
4eda1380e8.png

And surprise again, it brings me to the kill program popout again with my account already logged in.
c8bf7f7f5e.png

If I can't get this working, can anyone suggest a program that can do what visual can, but for sure free?

Well I got the same errors as him, so doing those checks seems redundant.

"If you install it from web installer, I suggest you install it from the ISO image"

I installed it from the web installer, where can I find the ISO image?

I downloaded the ISO, and then opened that, and then downloaded Visual Studio 2015 again. I got the same errors once again, and my license is still expired. I'm running out of things to try.

Have you been running the install by right clicking on it and selecting "run as administrator"? I can only imagine something is being left over after the uninstall. You could try doing a complete Windows reinstall - if you don't want to lose various things you first could make a complete image using Macrium Reflect free edition. Recovering from the image afterwards would overwrite everything of course but it would help confirm if the problem is about leftover junk or if there is an intrinsic problem with installing.

Install the Windows updates... VS requires a fully updated system to install

Back