VPN connection drops instantly after connection

dejhost

Hello!

I was asked to check an malfunctioning VPN-connection on a Lenovo laptop today. It uses the "Secure Socket Tunneling-Protokoll (SSTP)".

It seems the connection is established, and drops instantly again. I removed the network-adapter and setup the connection again.
I also turned off windows firewall and whitelisted the server-adress on the router. Same result.
In order to verify username and PW, I created the same connection on my own PC (different LAN). I successfully connected instantly.

The event log of the lenovo-laptop is full of the following error:
Überspringen: Eap method DLL path Fehler bei der Überprüfung. Fehler: Type-ID=18, Autor-ID=8086, Lieferant-ID=0, Lieferant-Typ=0
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EapHost" Guid="{6eb8db94-fe96-443f-a366-5fe0cee7fb1c}" />
<EventID>2002</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-10-04T12:59:19.3997296Z" />
<EventRecordID>30773</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="6588" ThreadID="14916" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Thinkpad</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4187841508-1825797483-3342513265-1001" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="Key Name">Eap method DLL path</Data>
<Data Name="TypeId">18</Data>
<Data Name="AuthorId">8086</Data>
<Data Name="VendorId">0</Data>
<Data Name="VendorType">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Could you please help me to troubleshoot this? Is the error above possibly connected to the VPN-issue?

Last edited:

Neemobeer

Application and Cloud Security Engineer
Staff member
Are you sure it's successful? I would run wireshark and capture the packet exchange to see what's going on.

dejhost

Are you sure it's successful? I would run wireshark and capture the packet exchange to see what's going on.
No, actually not really sure. 2 indications: 1) I am connected through a remote-desktop software to the lenovo notebokk. Everytime I try to get the VPN up and running on the lenovo, my remote-desktop-connection drops. 2) I can see briefly (for less than a second) the sign "connected".

I haven't used wireshark yet, but I'm more than happy to give it a try.

BTW: I tried WLAN and Ethernet - both with the same result.
Other suggestions are highly appreciated!

Last edited:

dejhost

The Problem diappeared - for unknown reasons. The connection was definitively working, but dropped. Something to do with windows not being able to chose the right network.

simplymark

There is a possibility that the problem may be related to the connection to your VPN server. Try connecting to a closer local server; if you are in Australia or England, connect to an Australian or English server, respectively. As a rule, your connection is most effective when you are connected to the server of the same country where you are currently located. If this works, maybe you just have a weak connection to this particular server. I advise you to find more information about available VPN clients with advanced settings so that you can avoid such situations. I hope you will succeed and you will sort out this problem. Good luck to you!