Windows 7 VPN loses connection when switching users & possible other solutions

MG56847

I am running Windows 7 professional.

The problem is as follows. I need to connect to work through a VPN. While this VPN is active, I want to be able to visit websites and do things that do not run through the VPN. The VPN client is the one provided with Windows 7 that you get to when you go to create a network connection, and select a VPN connection.

Since the VPN soaks up all network traffic that occurs while it is activated, this presents a problem.

My proposed solution was to use a pair of user profiles. One for the tasks that use the VPN, one for everything else. I would then switch between the two, but leave them both logged in. I noticed however that when I switched away from the user that is hooked up to the VPN, the VPN would drop the connection.

Is there any way to get the user with the VPN running to maintain connection to the VPN while it is locked, and another user is active?

Is there perhaps a better way of doing this that does not require the use of a pair of user profiles at all?

Hi.

I would see if using a 3rd party VPN client does something better for you. That shouldn't interfere with otherwise normal internet usage. The tunneled/encrypted data would all be contained to and within the client's dealings, itself.

MG56847:
Hello and welcome to the forums. The behavior you are describing is typical, if the properties of the VPN connection has a default gateway configured. Your browsing is attempting to use that gateway which is problematic since it probably is incorrect for your local network. Try, removing the default gateway from the properties of the VPN connection and see if that helps.
Keep us posted.

MG56847:
Hello and welcome to the forums. The behavior you are describing is typical, if the properties of the VPN connection has a default gateway configured. Your browsing is attempting to use that gateway which is problematic since it probably is incorrect for your local network. Try, removing the default gateway from the properties of the VPN connection and see if that helps.
Keep us posted.
The problem with doing this in my case is a portion of the services I use through the work VPN are not actually located within their intranet. Those services provide access based on the source of the traffic being sent to them. When the traffic is coming from work, those services are active. If I don't use the VPN's default gateway, then I use my own connection to access these services, and I get denied.

It's stupid, I know. But unfortunately it's the situation I'm kinda stuck with. This is why two seperate user accounts seemed like such an attractive option. I could have one totally configured to do all the work stuff, and the other be home stuff. In fact, it would be a totally perfect solution if not for the fact that it's dropping connection when I switch users.

I'm currently looking into 3rd party, free, vpn clients. Hopefully it pans out.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Back