Windows 10 W10 Pro: Initially BSOD, now won't load at all

DigitalPig

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for any help that you may send my way...it's been a very frustrating day.
Everything was fine with my PC until last night when it suddenly crashed with BSOD. After a restart all was fine but it was running really slow on start, ten another BSOD. It was dinner time so I took a break and came back to it this morning.

I ran the machine and had similar BSOD encounters, so came across some threads on here and started on diagnosing the issue. I tried to run Driver Verifier, but every time I try to restart the machine, it crashed with BSOD, and upon restart there are no verifier settings saved. I can run verifier from the repair ramdisk but again nothing was saved once I was in Windows.

Then something else happened. After a BSOD and restart, I got to a blue screen which said:

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed
Error code: 0xc0000225

and now I cannot get past that. I can boot into safe mode, but not sure if that's going to help at this point as most of the services I need are disabled in safe mode.
I'm about ready to run the reinstall of Windows files, but need to know if this is recoverable first before I go down that path.

So I don't have any dump files, because nothing will work to get then to generate.

I have memorytest86 downloaded and ready to run, but before I commit to that 12 hour thing I want to know if there is anything I can do first.

Thank you,
Paul

So if I boot into the repair procedure and get to a command prompt, then check out the C drive, it is actually my D drive, and all my other drives are mislabeled, with my C drive actually listed as my F drive. I'm not sure if that's really even an issue or just because it's in the repair procedure.

I tried running through the startup repair but it wasn't able to complete. If I run "bootrec /fixmbr" from the command prompt from within the repair options I get a message saying "file not found" or something similar, which I assume is because it's looking for the MBR and not finding it on the drive it thinks is my C drive.

Any thoughts on whether I can still rescue this?

The drive order in recovery will be different but it doesn't matter those supplied commands will still work fine.

Like the @nmsuk the drive letter assignments are logically assigned so they can vary. The BCD store will reflect the correct drive letters in the current boot environment. You can see them with bcdedit /enum. If the drive is using a GPT partition scheme (UEFI boot) there will be an MBR called a protective MBR which shows a single 2TB partition to protect against non UEFI compatible systems but otherwise is not used. If not using MBR the bootrec /rebuildbcd is the only one needed.

Thanks, I do have a UEFI boot system.

If I run bcdedit /enum ACTIVE it returns with Windows Boot Manager and Windows Boot Loader.

However, when I run bootrec /rebuildbcd it doesn't find any Windows installations.

Then make note of the drive letters assigned to the boot manager and boot loader from the bcdedit command and run the following.

Example: Boot Manager is mapped to D and Boot loader is mapped to E
bcdboot E:\Windows /s D: /f UEFI

should have the same effect as bootrec /rebuildbcd but will also recopy system boot files

Boot Manager does not show a drive assignment, but does show a device of HarddiskVolume5, which I'm sure is F. Boot Loader does show as F.

Should I make that assumption or should I check some other way?

Image attached showing values.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 205
That's fine then just do bcdboot F:\Windows /f UEFI the tool can figure out the efi partition from that BCD file

Can't specify /f without /s, and unfortunately that didn't work.
When I use bcdboot the response is: Boot files successfully created, but then on reboot I find myself back at the same screen which states something along the lines of: Device or resource is not found or not accessible.

Whatever command/option I use, I keep coming back to bootrec /scanos and find that command cannot find any windows installation.

One thing did just change after I rebooting while writing this, and that is that I no longer get to an error screen. Every reboot takes me directly to the repair procedure. Is this progress? :)

Mobeer will be on it's way to you.

Back