Windows 7 w7 64 install problem

3doz

I have 32 installed and wish to install 64 on a seperate hard drive
the install finds the drive but shows it cant find the partition .
its nuts as its a 1 tb partitioned and formatted .

and suggestions

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Does the 7 install see your hdd but show no partitions at all, not even the one with your 7x32? Have you tried to create a partition from the install, does it require drivers? Do you have several SATA's in a RAID, what RAID is it ?

all works to the point where 64 shows a screen with drive selections
when I select the drive to use it come up with cant find partition
strange how it sees the dive in the first place , then why not see the partition

Are you sure the drive is formatted?

In that window that shows the hard drive are you selecting the "Drive Options - Advanced" and creating a partition from there?

7-2-2010 9-23-21 AM.png

It is best to create a separate partition for Windows 7, anywhere from 48-64 GB in size. Now others here will say that's too big or too small.
It's all a personal choice anyway, but I would recommend no smaller than 48 GB.

Try that and see what happens.

all works to the point where 64 shows a screen with drive selections
when I select the drive to use it come up with cant find partition
strange how it sees the dive in the first place , then why not see the partition

As I asked, have you tried to create a partition from the installer's drive options? The partition should be NTFS formatted. You have 7x32 installed, so does the installer detect this partition?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please see this support page:

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

I have formatted the drive within the install program and still it cant find the partition
the drive has been partitioned before and the other section is working with programs on it under 32 bit could that be the problem

You might try disconnecting the other hard drive with the Windows 7 32 Bit on it. For some strange reason, Windows 7 get a little finicky sometimes on the install process when more than one hard drive is present on the motherboard.

Just temporarily disconnect that drive and try your install again and see if that works.

I have formatted the drive within the install program and still it cant find the partition

If you have SATA's in a RAID, then you may need to load the driver for your raid controller. It also depends on how you formatted from within the installer, as one big partition or as several partitions. Did you try to proceed with the installation to the drive you formatted?

~~~~~~~~~~

Is your bios up to date? A chance that upgrading it to the latest will resolve your issue.

the drive I am trying to install on is a 1Tb devided in two , one section is clean the other with programs
the clean side can be formatted within the install 64 program but still cant see the partitions
looking at that section in manager it show active primary . could that be the problem how does one remove the active ?

Back
Top Bottom