Windows 7 W7 vs Vista - Benchmark

zx6r1033

I decided to run a benchmark test today just to see how Vista 64bit and 7 64bit held up against each other. I thought maybe other people would be interested in my results, which are (to say the least) pretty interesting.

Both tests were run the same day (Dual boot system) and the computer was untouched as far as settings.

Specs -

Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4800+ 2.5ghz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 128bit 1gb
HD - Seagate SATA 3.0g/s 250gb 7,200rpm
Memory - A-Data DDR2 128bit 800, 4gb
Benchmark: PerformanceTest

Now, one thing I did notice is that for some reason, my benchmark software runs the tests in 32bit. (I think its time to buy a new/different benchmark program)

http://www.swphotovideo.com/images/results.gif

You've certainly got some interesting results there, however, I would definitely get a new benchmarking program.. ;) Perhaps one that will benchmark in 64 bit... None the less, for being in BETA still, some good results there.... :)

Same tests... still with Passmark Performance Test... but this time, the 64it version. (What I should have done to begin with.)

http://www.swphotovideo.com/images/Results2.gif

They are fairly close through the CPU tests... experience some strange differences throughout graphics testing...

The two things I find most interesting are the Hard drive tests and the Memory tests. It appears W7 has Vista beat hands-down when it comes to memory management. That was a big issue for me in the past, and what lead to my running only 64bit systems. I currently run 4gb, and as soon as my budget allows, I will be adding another 4gb. Not even 32bit vista was able to read the memory correctly, so I felt I was losing a substantial amount of performance by running a 32bit OS. I am quite happy to see W7 is even better with it.

The Hard drive tests... I am at a loss for words on that one. I cannot figure out how there would be that much of a difference between the two. I fear one of them may be failing. The Hard drives are two identical hard drives, both purchased at the same time. They are the same model number, same size, same speed, same everything. One has a clean Vista x64 install, and the other has a clean W7 x64 install.

In any event... if you guys are interested in a comparison of x64 vs x86, I would be willing to load an x86 version of vista on another partition and running the test.

I also have an Ubuntu x64 benchmark I can throw up. The graphics tests were insanely strange on that one, since DirectX is required for my benchmark, but will not run natively on Linux. The 2d shapes and lines ran at 4x the fps as it would on windows, but fell to almost half the speed on Windows on full screen 3-D.

Back
Top Bottom