Windows 7 W7 will not recognize network printer

compiler

OK, here’s my situation. I have a desktop computer. I have an older Epson printer attached to the parallel port. I also have a USB Canon Pixma IP4000 printer attached to the desktop..

I have 3 other laptop computers which connect wirelessly. The desktop and 2 of the laptops connect fine to the Epson and the Canon printers. These are all XP.

But my newest computer is a W7 computer. It recognizes the Epson and works fine with that.

How do I get it to see and use the Canon printer (I think it used to work with it). When I try and add a printer and specifiy network printers it does not find the Canon. Any suggestions?

Mel

First make sure you have the appropriate driver for your version of Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit).
Then determine the MachineName and IpAddress of the Desktop hosting the printer share, as well as the ShareName of the Pixma (make sure to keep it short with no spaces, just for simplicity).
Then try this;
On the Windows 7 machine (delete all reference to the Pixma that might be a result of previous installation attempts)
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.

Back
Top Bottom