Windows 8 W8.1 Kernel Data Inpage Error

Hello!

On Sept 2015 I upgraded my 2-years-old Samsung laptop to W10, but after some issues (including BSoD), I downgraded to W8.1, thinking that would solve the problems.

Since then, a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSoD appears even several times a day (specially today). I saw the .dmp files using BlueScreenView, and the error is caused by ntoskrnl.exe, except the last one (minutes ago) caused by dxgmms1.sys

I tried to start chkdsk, but after to restart the system, the following message appeared: "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" (and I see it every time I turn on the laptop)

All the required info into the zipped file. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• W7F_28-07-2016.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 804
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {4, 0, ffffe0007277b820, 7ffaa3837018}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+21f87 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
apart from one Bugcheck 50 (causes include hardware (RAM), drivers and AV) bsod occurred whilst running Avast AV. The rest of the dump files are bugcheck 7A, causes include harddrive issues, failing RAM and malware.

Please remove Avast AV suite and just use the onboard Defender as this is ultra stable. You can always re-install Avast after the troubleshooting has been completed.

Also do make sure you have a Recovery disk/USB just in case a boot loop occurrs, you can boot from the recovery disk/USB, enter recovery and then safe mode.

Try and run a chkdsk again using this guide which will give you two options on how to run it. Which ever way you choose please ensure you look for and repair broken sectors (the guide will show you)

The link below will advise you on how to rebuild the Boot files running the rebuildBCD command, see if it helps any.
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Check the drive using Seatools
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

I'm pretty sure this is your laptop:
Support - Laptops NP300E4E | Samsung Computing

You'll find on that support page access to something called the SW update program which I assume will update your drivers:
Support - Laptops NP300E4E | Samsung Computing

See how you get on with the above. Any problems or new dump files please post back.

Hi,

I uninstalled Avast before post this thread. I tried to turn on Windows Defender from the Action Center (these messages appeared: "turn on virus protection" and "turn on spyware and unwanted software protection"), but it only opens the Windows > system32 folder. Is that a problem? By now, I'm using Malwarebytes.

I think you forgot the link to the chkdsk guide.

I need a recovery disk/USB to run the RebuildBcd command, or I can start the Windows RE from another way?

The drive passed the SMART check and Short Drive Self Test from SeaTools.

I downloaded SW Update and I'm upgrading the software now.

Two BSoD appeared in the last hours: when I tried to scan drive for errors from an Action Center notification (072816-30218-01.dmp), and when the first SeaTools SDS Test started (072816-50359-01.dpm). The .dmp files are into the zipped folder.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• .dmp files.zip
    49.8 KB · Views: 454
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6e0001fd6a8, ffffffffc00000c0, 13a96880, ffffc0003fad564c}

Probably caused by : volsnap.sys ( volsnap!VspCleanupVolumeSnapshot+1ad )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this dump file is much better with more information than the last and has the status error code :
Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc00000c0 - This device does not exist.

Try running the drive in a different port.

Check connections and cables

Please ensure your running in AHCI mode. To do this you can check via device manager:
How to Check if AHCI Mode Is Properly Enabled

Try and run a chkdsk again using this guide which will give you two options on how to run it. Which ever way you choose please ensure you look for and repair broken sectors (the guide will show you)
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

I tried to turn on Windows Defender from the Action Center
Please run these scans and then reboot:
Run an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Press enter and await results.

Post any new dump files.

AHCI mode is properly enabled (no yellow exclamation mark or red "x"):

ht7Z28e.png

I ran the sfc /scannow command. It found corrupt files and failed to fix some of them. For more details, I attached the CBS.log
After reboot, I still can't turn on Windows Defender.

I'll use /RestoreHealth now.

I upgraded almost all available drivers with SW Update. No BSoD by now.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    110.8 KB · Views: 483
An error occurred during the /RestoreHealth scan.

VV1YuGS.png

New zipped folder, including the dism.log file mentioned above:

Attachments

• W7F_28-07-2016.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 520
I still can't turn on Windows Defender.
I'm also seeing Avast in the dump file so it's technically still installed.

Did you try the other suggestions posted above?

An error occurred during the /RestoreHealth scan.
This solution relates to the error code displayed when trying to run DISM:
SOLVED: DISM Error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found - Appuals.com

This error can also be produced by faulty RAM, Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.

Post any new dump files.

One of the BSoD occurred when the Avast uninstallation was finishing. That could be the reason Avast files still are in the system?

How I do this?

This night (or tomorrow) I'll use the DISM error solution, try to run chkdsk and Memtest86. New info soon. Thanks!

Update
This solution relates to the error code displayed when trying to run DISM:
SOLVED: DISM Error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found - Appuals.com

This guide solve the problem on Windows 10. Any solution for W8.1?

Last edited:
One of the BSoD occurred when the Avast uninstallation was finishing. That could be the reason Avast files still are in the system?
Ah ok please try to remove again then please.

This guide solve the problem on Windows 10. Any solution for W8.1?
As the issue throws up the same error code as Windows 10 I wondered if the above solution would work for win 8.1 too. Did you try it and it didn't work?

This night (or tomorrow) I'll use the DISM error solution, try to run chkdsk and Memtest86. New info soon. Thanks!
Sounds good! Hope all goes well.

Ah ok please try to remove again then please.

Avast is no longer in the program list, but I found this folder at C:\Program Files. Should I delete it?

CWLgUfQ.png

I tried to run chkdsk from different ways, but after restart the system, the following message still appearing: "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK".
As the issue throws up the same error code as Windows 10 I wondered if the above solution would work for win 8.1 too. Did you try it and it didn't work?

I didn't try because, according to the guide, I have to download a W10 ISO from a Tech Bench link.

Tomorrow I'll use Memtest86.

Avast is no longer in the program list, but I found this folder at C:\Program Files. Should I delete it?
Try installing Avast again then pop into safe mode. Try uninstalling when in safe mode.

I didn't try because, according to the guide, I have to download a W10 ISO from a Tech Bench link.
I don't suppose you have a copy of Windows 8.1 on disk? If so then use that in place of W10.

autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK
See if this web page helps:
Disable or Stop Auto CHKDSK During Windows Startup • Raymond.CC - Page 2

I did a new "sfc /scannow" scan, and repaired the files successfully. Then I ran chkdsk and apparently repaired the drive.

I deleted all Avast files too, using this uninstall utility in Safe Mode. I still can't turn on Defender (when I try, still opens system32 folder).

I hope all this will solve the problems.

If new BSoD or issues appears, I'll post it here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back