Windows 8 WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #2

Georgey

Honorable Member
Hi,

AVG PC Tuneup warned me: Windows reports that the "WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #2" device is not working properly." therefore: ....click Update driver and follow the instructions.

When I did so, windows checked for updates, then stated that my driver is up to date.
However the device manager confirmed that: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
Then what?
Thanks a lot.

Hi Georgey,

can you post the make and model of your machine and I'll find the correct driver for you. Windows update doesn't always find the most recent versions and so is best not relied on.

Wow, that's great!
I run Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit on a Samsung R439 laptop.

Wow, that's great!
I run Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit on a Samsung R439 laptop.

Hi. WAN Miniport is not really hardware. It is Windows software for emulating the absence of a connection on most client systems. This is not something to worry about. Are you having difficulties with your connection? If not, I'd leave it be. There is no WAN miniport driver update. It is part of Microsoft Windows. Occasionally you'll see WAN miniport in operation for VPN/PPPoE, and other things. If you don't have these configured, you can usually disable it in "Network Connections" safely. For people without WiFi adapters, this almost never appears.

You can probably safely delete WAN Miniport in Windows. Remember, it uses Microsoft drivers and its not real hardware. Its a network interface layer, or virtual adapter, that Microsoft uses for some operations.

Now I'm confused.
I suspected that this 'miniport' is not really hardware, that's why I answered to Kemical not only my machine but also OS.
Yet, I still think that both AVG PC tuneup and Windows device manager detect a a real problem. I apparently need this driver or virtual adapter, which is either missing or malfunctioning. I use WiFi and frequently have problem with it, the connection goes very slow or even breaks; I don't know how much it is my or the network's problem. I trust you can help me download and install it, whatever it is.

Try this. Go to Device Manager. Under Network Adapters, for every single adapter that has a yellow exclamation mark or red, right-click and uninstall the adapter. Especially WAN Miniport. Save all open files and restart the computer. If you continue to have difficulties, let us know.

To open Device Manager quickly, go to Start -> Search -> devmgmt.msc

The fact that you have WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #2 should be indicative of the problem. The second one is likely unable to start because at some point, the first one may be initializing. If you only see one, you should still remove it and confirm that you still have working network access. I believe, in your circumstance, it would be very unlikely that you have a problem.

When you are in Network Adapters under Device Management, also try to right-click on any wireless network adapters and controllers. Make note of these and please report back what you are listing. The technical specs page from Samsung only lists:
  • 802.11bg/n* Wireless LAN attached
It does not list the make and model of the adapter. Sometimes, late in production, many retailers will switch out the hardware based on the cheapest they can find. This can include the motherboard, if the component is attached. Also, the Samsung Support site is not showing your model with any Windows 8 downloads.

Here is what you can do. Check here:

http://www.samsung.com/levant/support/model/NP-R439-DA02JO-downloads

After deleting WAN Miniport,

You can download the WiFi adapter drivers from there. However, these are Windows 7 compatibility drivers. You need to get the latest drivers from Realtek and Intel.

Intel Auto-Detect WiFi: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-010623.htm
Realtek WiFi Drivers: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=21&Level=4&Conn=3

I need you to get the network adapter information from your system. One of the most comprehensive ways to do this is a program called Speccy (freeware), or, preferably, AIDA64 (trialware but will work). Then you can determine exactly which driver you need to "update". The WAN Miniport cannot initialize, but this does not mean it absolutely needs to be updated. As I said it is not real hardware and it is a way for Windows networking to manage virtual private networks and dial-up connections.

All the best with this.

I'm stuck at scratch. I uninstalled this 'driver' and restarted the laptop.
AVG still shows the same warning and WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #2 is still in the device manager.
By the way, I wonder why it is #2, I don't have WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #1 or WAN Miniport (Network Monitor).

I'm stuck at scratch. I uninstalled this 'driver' and restarted the laptop.
AVG still shows the same warning and WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #2 is still in the device manager.
By the way, I wonder why it is #2, I don't have WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #1 or WAN Miniport (Network Monitor).
Do you see Realtek under Network Adapters in Device Manager or Intel? You should be checking the properties of your wireless adapter now at the hardware level to determine which updated driver you may need.

You can also run the auto-detect from Intel and if it does not work, you can try to install the Realtek drivers. The fact that you are online means that nothing is severely wrong with your network configuration. Have you uninstalled any firewall software or anti-virus software recently? Either way, the problem may disappear if you correctly update your actual wireless NIC drivers. The WAN miniport is a lost cause that is for sure. It is a symptom of a misconfiguration somewhere but it does not really have its own unique set of drivers. It uses the built-in drivers from Windows.

This is what I have under Network Adapters:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Are Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Broadcom 802.11 n Network Adapter
Marwell Yukon 88E8040 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) #2

(the last with the yellow triangle and and exclamation mark)

Very often these types of problem devices (as shown in device manager) can be hold overs from previous instances of software that may have been installed on you computer and is no longer present (security suites or VPNs, etc.,).
Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the R key and type
ncpa.cpl
Select each of your network adapters one at a time and then right click and choose properties
In the center box labeled "This connection uses the following items:"
Look for anything that contains the words (network monitor) and uncheck it.
Do the same on all your adapters listed in network connections and recheck device manager and see if the problem persists.
Just a hunch but I've seen this issue before so it's worth a look see.

Thanks, but I couldn't find anything like that to uncheck.

Last edited:
Tried but couln´t uninstall wan miniport.
Iam having an extremly laging internet on this computer, Every other computer works well on same internet expect this one.

Hi. WAN Miniport is not really hardware. It is Windows software for emulating the absence of a connection on most client systems. This is not something to worry about. Are you having difficulties with your connection? If not, I'd leave it be. There is no WAN miniport driver update. It is part of Microsoft Windows. Occasionally you'll see WAN miniport in operation for VPN/PPPoE, and other things. If you don't have these configured, you can usually disable it in "Network Connections" safely. For people without WiFi adapters, this almost never appears.

You can probably safely delete WAN Miniport in Windows. Remember, it uses Microsoft drivers and its not real hardware. Its a network interface layer, or virtual adapter, that Microsoft uses for some operations.

I also got this message "WAN Miniport (ATW) device not working properly". I followed the suggestions that AVG gave and then when I double clicked on it in Device Manager and clicked the tab "Driver" I saw that the driver provider was America Online. Since I am able to connect to AOL I decided not to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom