Windows 7 Want to automatically log in without entering username/password credentials every time

arlins2

Hi, I just wanted to know how to get rid of using passwords when accessing windows 8 and my computer. I didn't used to have to butI some how changed something. Find windows 8 very confusing. you can e/m me at [Removed to prevent spam e-mails - Mike] Any help is appreciated. Arlen

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I just wanted to know how to get rid of using passwords when accessing windows 8 and my computer. I didn't used to have to butI some how changed something. Find windows 8 very confusing. you can e/m me at [Removed to prevent spam e-mail bombardment- Mike]. Any help is appreciated. Arlen

Hi,

if you use a Microsoft account but don't want to keep inputting your password every time you boot into windows the this will help.
Right click in the bottom left hand corner and from the revealed menu click 'Run'. Type 'netplwiz' (without quotes) in the run box and click ok. You'll then see another box appear which you can then uncheck 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer'. Click Apply and you'll see a box appear where you'll have input your normal username and password.. Once completed you will boot straight to the Start screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is generally recommended to get used to using your login and password on sign-in. In fact, under the same netplwiz "User Accounts" dialogue, there is an option under Advanced to force CTRL-ALT-DEL before you even sign in. This was implemented in the past as a result of rootkits and viruses infringing on the system and harvesting Windows logins and passwords for later use by mimicking the exact look and appearance of the login screen. While it was easier before, it may still be possible for an advanced virus to accomplish it in the future. By forcing you to enter your login/password combo each time, the system is preventing unauthorized access AND unauthorized elevation on the same account. You may want to consider leaving it if you have any security concerns, but Ross has the correct answer if you are that annoyed by it.

Last edited:
The question is, why do we need passwords? Refer to kemical and Mike. Making it easy is tempting, making it sure may not be that easy - but may be more sure?

Back