Windows 7 Warning - Windows Update screwed my network

rlincolnh

Extraordinary Member
A bit over an hour ago I noticed that there were a couple of updates waiting for d/l - install. I had a quick look at them - one critical/security, and a couple of optional - ATI for my 48xx card, Samsung for my display, and

Realtek - Network - Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

That looked reasonable, so I said, yeah, go ahead. When the system rebooted after the install my network was gone! System restore failed because it said that it couldn't access a file (although it didn't say which one), so I finished up going into Device Manager and rolling back the driver. Voila, I have my network back.

The info that the network troubleshooter gave me about the problem was:

Detection details
Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:
Network adapter Local Area Connection driver information:
Description . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 7.2.1127.2008
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netrtx64.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:41:57 AM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : RTL8168D.ndi
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10ec&dev_8168&rev_03
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x1802400
Device Manager Status Code . . : 10
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name: A16EA094-15B4-451C-AFBC-7767315D323F.Diagnose.0.etl

While the above data seems to indicate a 2009 date, looking at the Windows Update entry details, it says

"Realtek Network software update released in June, 2007"

The driver version that I rolled back and which is now working is 6.211.1016.2008 dated 16-Oct-08

So I don't really know what the truth is about the new(?) driver, but it certainly killed me.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P, running Win7 x64.

Roger

Hmm... Interesting. I have the same network adapter (mines a gigabyte board too) and I use the update utility to install the driver but have never had your experience....
I'll check on driver dates later and post back...

That 6.211.1016.2008 version is the one that came on the CD with my M/B. There wasn't anything more recent on the Gigabyte website at the time, but I just had another look and there is now ver. 7.5.730.209 dated 30-Jul-09 listed specifically for Win7 x64 (6.211. ... was a vista driver). I d/l and installed that, and it seems to be running fine.

It may be my imagination, but PowerDesk appeared to start noticibly faster than usual. It previously took several (~4)seconds before the window appeared, and I had put that down to it discovering my network, but I've tried it a few times now and I'm sure it's a couple of seconds faster.

Roger

A Quick word.

You may be aware? This is a standard installation practise of mine.
1. I select "Chaeck for updates but let me choose...etc
and, if your hardware is working to your satisfaction.
2. In tne Control Panel Icon view) - System - Advanced System view - Hardware - device installation settings, I selct "Let me choose what to do."
Whenever I see a hardware update listed, I go to the manufactirers page and chack it out.

Yeah, I've been checking a few other forums and that seems to be the general consensus. WU record with drivers seems to be abysmal. I've been using w2k since it was first released until recently, and I've been using the same drivers forever, so I've only ever worried about security updates...

As RAK says, I always have my update utility on let me check first... Even so, MS still releases some updates you don't even know about and it just goes right ahead and installs....grrrr

Well, yes: maybe: perhaps!!
I am not sure about the RC, but there have not yet been any updates for Windows 7 RTM OS. I use Microsoft security essentials which, of course, spits out definition updates daily. There was also one for silverlight. Apart from that, they have all been driver updates for third party hardware.

It is rare that ms issues secret updates but they do happen...

As for recent updates...mainly for silverlight, IE8 compatibility list improvements and the nasty software tool. (can't think of the correct name lol)

Oh... and languages of course...:rolleyes:

Back