Windows 7 WD40EZRX vs WD4001FAEX

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I'm familiar with the basic differences in these drives, as far as specs go. I'm quite familiar with the WD30EZRX drives, but am wondering if I can expect similar reliability in the 4TB green label drive, or if they have any kind of bugs that I should be aware of? I would like to get a 4TB black label drive, but comparing the best prices I've found ($165 green, $250 black), that would an additional $85 per drive, which I'm not inclined to pay.

What it boils down to, is that I'm asking if anyone has any hands on experience with the 4TB green label drives?

Performance is only part of the difference. Since I intend to only use it for an archive drive, that really isn't important to me, but 3 years additional warranty is (green = 2 years, black = 5 years). $85 is just too much to pay for a 3 year addition.

Green does not have a specific rotational speed. It is rated as "intellipower" which gives priority to saving power than cranking up at high speed of rotation which consumes more power. I am guessing the speed is only around 5400rpm. The Black is rated 7200rpm, consumes more power, and noisier but has the best performance among all "colors". But it seems that specs/performance is not important to you, so go with a more attractive price tag. Easy.

Last edited:
You are asking about the difference and not issues. For issues, read the reviews.
Sorry, but that isn't what I was asking...read the OP. Reviews are sometimes helpful, but more often than not, they aren't. Or at least not without a great deal of searching and reading, which my question was designed hopefully to reduce.

Sorry, but that isn't what I was asking...read the OP. Reviews are sometimes helpful, but more often than not, they aren't. Or at least not without a great deal of searching and reading, which my question was designed hopefully to reduce.

Ok. If you say so.
But personally I don't like getting anything more than 2TB. I would rather get 4x1TBs (but of course you would need a hard drive dock for it). If you put everything in one and if it acts up, all your files are done. It takes forever to thorough scan a 1TB hard drive for recovery, just think how longer it is to scan a 4TB. I have one 2TB and I am not gonna get another one. But this is me. I actually have a library of hard drives. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Seeker....that's exactly what you asked for...the differences and anyone with experiences....not any known issues. In your OP, there is no mention of you asking for known issues. Or are we to interpret what you mean by experiences as known issues.

Ok.
But personally I don't like getting anything more than 2TB.!

Not to mention the problem with MBR and GPT w/the HDD's larger than 2 TB ...unless the aforementioned 4 TB HDD is going to be used strictly as a data.

Ok. If you say so.
But personally I don't like getting anything more than 2TB. I would rather get 4x1TBs (but of course you would need a hard drive dock for it). If you put everything in one and if it acts up, all your files are done. It takes forever to thorough scan a 1TB hard drive for recovery, just think how longer it is to scan a 4TB. I have one 2TB and I am not gonna get another one. But this is me. I actually have a library of hard drives. :)

Cheers!
I understand your preference, but I don't share it. To use multiple drives would require me to divide the genres of my video collection, and play musical chairs with them to either file or locate them, which is a complication that I prefer to avoid as long as possible...ergo keep increasing drive capacity as long as possible. Besides, the more drives that are involved, the higher the odds of having a failure.

Seeker....that's exactly what you asked for...the differences and anyone with experiences....not any known issues. In your OP, there is no mention of you asking for known issues. Or are we to interpret what you mean by experiences as known issues.

You read it differently than I intended. Perhaps my phraseology could have been more clear, but when I read it, it still says the same thing to me as when I posted it.

EDIT: Since it should have been clear that I was already familiar with the specs of the drive, and I placed this phrase:

or if they have any kind of bugs that I should be aware of?
I would have hoped that the purpose of my question was clear. Bug = known issue.

Besides, the more drives that are involved, the higher the odds of having a failure.

Nope. the more a drive is used & abused (if you only have one for everything and watching a movie on it keeps it spinning for a long period of time), the higher the failure rate. If one of my drives fail, it only contains part of my data and not everything.

I insure against data loss by having identical archives on both the desktop and the HTPC. As far as the amount of time a drive is in operation, it is true that it bears on the amount of wear involved, but starting and stopping a drives does also.

Seeker- have you thought about going RAID (1 or 10)? Gives you the capacity and convenience of a single large drive, plus the advantages of multiple smaller drives.

Back