Windows 8 WDDM 1.2 New for Windows 8

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
You may have noticed when using Windows 8 how the graphics seem to have more clarity and just generally look better. This is down to something called WDDM 1.2:

WDDM v1.2 is required for all systems shipped with Windows 8. WDDM v1.0 and WDDM v1.1 will continue to work on Windows 8. However, the best experience and Windows 8–specific features are enabled only by a WDDM v1.2 driver.

The Windows Display Driver Model or WDDM for short allows Microsoft and GPU devs to add new features whilst also making better use of the available power. It's this software (along with hardware developments) that has really brought the GPU to where it is today.
WDDM 1.2 which is included with Windows 8 allows support DX 11.1 as well as a whole raft of features.

wddm12.jpg

In addition to the above Microsoft has a downloadable PDF which is available here:

Windows Display Driver Model Enhancements in Windows Developer Preview

The tech site AnandTech has also produced article concerning WDDM 1.2 and can be found here:

AnandTech - In-Depth with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I hadn't noticed when initially installed Windows 8 CP, but as soon as I installed the AMD/ATI CCC Suite for my Radeon 3450HD card, I noticed the fonts had become a tad blurred with a red shadow (very faint but obvious) even after re-adjusting ClearType.
Once I removed the AMD/ATI CCC everything was back to crystal clear.

:applause: on this one MS

Yeah the ATI cards supporting 1.2 WDDM are the 5 and 6 series cards (I guess 7 series too) but which driver did you use as a friend of mine had real problems with his 4 series card.

Yeah the ATI cards supporting 1.2 WDDM are the 5 and 6 series cards (I guess 7 series too) but which driver did you use as a friend of mine had real problems with his 4 series card.

Hey kemical,

I used the 11-12_Vista64_Win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl for the 3 series, which was at the time the latest suite available. I will try the next driver/suite update, but if it does the same thing I'll stick with the MS driver. The reason I installed the complete suite is that it has the "Overdrive" function.

Don

Bassfisher eventually gave up with his 4series card and bought a 6 series (quite a beast). The driver wouldn't even run the GPU fan on the 4series.... Apparently WDDM1.1 will run under Win 8 but I think it's still to be implemented into a win 8 compatible driver.

(apologies for the long time in answering, had a double funeral to attend :confusion:)

Back