Windows 7 Weird little issue with "directional arrows"?

Darick Adams

Don't know what else to call it. It's basically the directional arrows that would be used as a command in a game, and they're are only coming up as little squares. (As shown in the picture I uploaded).
Does this for every game as well, not just this one, and while it's not a major issue it is visually annoying and I would like to fix it, especially if it could be effecting things that I'm not yet aware of.

Thanks in advance-

Attachments

• SC_ 2012-07-11 17-34-47-084.jpg
    SC_ 2012-07-11 17-34-47-084.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 290
I do not seem to understand what problem you are having. The attachment shows what , because I see the red squares, but have no ideal what it should look like?

Are you referring to the up/down and left/right arrow keys not working on your keyboard?

If it only happens in a game, could it be a problem with a graphical representation?

I do not seem to understand what problem you are having. The attachment shows what , because I see the red squares, but have no ideal what it should look like?

Are you referring to the up/down and left/right arrow keys not working on your keyboard?

If it only happens in a game, could it be a problem with a graphical representation?

In the picture, it should be an "up arrow" or a "down arrow". Apparently, characters like that also don't show up on websites like youtube. Now I'm really starting to worry...

The only thing I could even guess right now, would be to open an administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow to see if it finds any bad system files, and reinstall your video driver.

It would seem, under certain conditions, something is being misinterpreted.

Do you run any type of language pack?

The only thing I could even guess right now, would be to open an administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow to see if it finds any bad system files, and reinstall your video driver.

It would seem, under certain conditions, something is being misinterpreted.

Do you run any type of language pack?

Running the SFC scan now, as far as the language packs are concerned, tbh, I'm not sure. I hate admitting I don't know how to check something, but how could I determine whether or not I have any language packs running?

Otherwise, after this scan has finished, I'll see the to the video drivers.

Running the SFC scan now, as far as the language packs are concerned, tbh, I'm not sure. I hate admitting I don't know how to check something, but how could I determine whether or not I have any language packs running?

Otherwise, after this scan has finished, I'll see the to the video drivers.

Just fyi, I ran the scan, nothing came back. Just uninstalled, then re-installed my graphics driver, tested it, *sigh* it wasn't my graphics driver either.

Just a slight development, when I'm in IMs, (such as Skype) if I use the alt + (2 random numbers) to get a special character, it shows up as a box on my end, but if it is sent, it shows up correctly on the recipient's side. However, if I type it in as a search, or on a website such as this (↓) it appears correctly.
Don't know if that bit of info could be helpful to you at all.

Last edited:
Sounds like something got changed with the display fontyou are using. I can't think of anything to help you but maybe doing a internet search for something like setting the default font/display chracters for windows.

If all else fails and you don't receive a better solution you could try an windows inplace reinstall.

Back
Top Bottom