Weird Networking Problem

I have Windows 7 x64 Pro. I installed Office 2007 and I cannot connect to the internet through Explorer or Firefox. (I was connecting fine before I installed Office 2007). However here is where it gets weird Windows 7 can connect to the internet to get updates. Windows 7 says it is connected to the Internet. I can access my other computers on the network and they can access the internet. I can ping internet sites by URL or IP address. But whenever I try to use IE or Firefox I get the error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" or "Server not found" respectively for those programs. It does not matter if I use a URL or an IP address. I cannot even access my router's IP address from those programs.

I have looked around and cannot find this exact error elsewhere. I have reset the internet properties. I have tried to manually enter the connection settings. I have looked for the Bonjour DNS Responder Service and I don't have it. I don't have the unidentified network problem. I have updated drivers.

bassfisher6522

Essential Member
Curious; have you tried to reboot and check for MS updates thru windows. Try that.

I have all the updates to Office and Windows installed (except for 2 optional ones (Windows Live Essentials and Office Live add-in)). It is almost like I have a proxy server set up for IE and Firefox, but I have double checked this in both the programs' internet settings and in the windows registry. Also, the Windows 7 troubleshooter finds no problems.

bassfisher6522

Essential Member
Have you tried any adware, malware software for any bugs that maybe hiding or have corrupted something. Sometimes a good cleaning will resolve some waning issues.

Solution!!!!

Ok, here is what I did to resolve the issue. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, it found no problems. I installed System Suite 7 Pro, and the internet started working (when I did what scans I could it found no problems). While the internet was working I installed Spybot-Search and Destroy, it also found no problems. I uninstalled
System Suite 7, I could not connect to the internet again. Spybot still found no problems; however I noticed something weird: IE x64 could connect to the internet, IE x32 could not. I ran this in cmd.exe as an administrator "netsh winsock reset" and rebooted and now Firefox and IE (x64 and x32) both work.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.