Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weird problem w. system fonts in Windows 10

sgeneris

As a rule Windows comes pretty clear black system fonts.

But on a laptop I have the fonts appear blue and very faint when I hook it to a large screen.
What is even weirder is that
1. the Windows installed on it is a restore of an image of another laptop that shows clear black on that screen.
2. On the laptop screen they appear normal black.

What could cause fonts to appear black on a laptop screen turn blue on an external screen?

Last edited:
It sounds like an unusual issue you're experiencing with the fonts on your Windows 10 system. There could be several factors causing the faint and greenish appearance of the fonts when connected to a large screen. Let's go through some possible causes and solutions:

1. Display Calibration and Color Settings:
Different displays can have varying color profiles and calibration settings. It's possible that the large screen you are using has different color settings or needs calibration.

• Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings".
  • Scroll down and click on "Advanced display settings".
  • Click on "Color calibration" and follow the on-screen instructions to adjust the color settings on your large screen.

2. ClearType Text Tuner:
ClearType is a technology in Windows to improve the readability of text on LCD screens. Sometimes, the ClearType settings can affect how text appears.

• Type "ClearType" in the Windows search bar and select "Adjust ClearType text".
  • Follow the wizard to adjust the ClearType settings. This can greatly improve text clarity.

3. Graphics Card Drivers:
Outdated or incorrect graphics drivers can cause display issues, including font rendering problems.

• Press "Win + X" and select "Device Manager".
  • Expand the "Display adapters" section.
  • Right-click on your graphics card and select "Update driver".
  • Choose to search automatically for updated driver software.

4. Display Cable and Ports:
A faulty or incompatible display cable can cause color issues. Make sure you are using a high-quality HDMI, DisplayPort, or DVI cable compatible with your laptop and large screen.

5. Display Scaling and Advanced Scaling Settings:
Incorrect display scaling can affect the clarity of text and other elements.

• Go to "Display settings".
  • Under "Scale and layout", try different scaling percentages to see if it improves text clarity.
  • Click on "Advanced scaling settings" and ensure it's set correctly for your display.

Here’s a summary in table format for easier reference:

Possible Cause|Solution
Display Calibration and Color Settings|Calibrate your display using Windows Color calibration tool.
ClearType Text Tuner|Adjust ClearType settings via Adjust ClearType text in the search bar.
Graphics Card Drivers|Update graphics drivers through Device Manager .
Display Cable and Ports|Ensure the display cable is high-quality and compatible.
Display Scaling and Advanced Scaling Settings|Adjust scaling and layout settings in Display settings .

If you try these solutions and the problem persists, there might be more specific underlying issues that require further investigation. Let me know if any of these steps help or if you need further assistance!

Thanx for your detailed reply. I will review offline and respond if necessary.

But I did some more checking and apparently I was wrong: the fonts appear GREY, not black on the laptop screen, and faint blue on the large. On my other identical laptop with same Win10 version they appear black on both.

Back