Windows 7 Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums

Re: Windows 7

Thinking (dangerous!!) I know Vista users are interested in the comments on 7, but maybe this thread should be on the 7 forum???

Yes......While I agree that perhaps this subject should be on the Windows 7 forums, you have to remember that there are many members viewing this forum that are not members of any Windows 7 forums but are still interested in reading the posts.

Thinking (dangerous!!) I know Vista users are interested in the comments on 7, but maybe this thread should be on the 7 forum???

This thread is maintained for vista users who have an interest in 7.
Here at least we can have a quiet discussion away from the hordes who are just into the next big thing....

Nuff Said....

Just out of interest, I thought I would give Windows 7 beta a go on my laptop that had previously wanted nothing to do with Vista. What a pleasant surprise, it installed easily and is running well with no obvious problems. Hm..........perhaps there is something in the criticism that has been levelled at Microsoft regarding the "shortfalls" in vista especially when installed on notebooks!!!!!!!!!!Makes you wonder!!!

I agree it's a great improvement although some of the 'clunkiness' of vista is still evident maybe because it's still in beta stage? The UAC is still a pain in the butt and although has, again, been improved still gets turned off. The 'Action Centre' is great for novice pc users and hopefully will cut down on users machines being infected ect...

Windows 7 is going on my new Desktop. I may leave my notebook with just Vista if possible, it seems better adjusted to it than other computers.

Celestra, if I was you I would leave my new machine on the pre-installed Vista and upgrade your notebook with the beta. Remember Windows 7 is still a beta and as such I would be wary of using it on any new desktop.

I've noticed if I turn off the UAC the desktop gadgets stop working.... I did try to leave the UAC running (on the lowest setting) but when I tried to create folders in the start menu to tidy things up, I get the constant message 'this folder is already open in another program'?? So for ease, I just turned it off again.

Disappointing....

That's a great link to loads of useful hints to get the best out of Windows 7 beta. Well worth a look at!!!!!!!

As superbill rightly say's the link has some great tips for 7 and a few of them also work in vista too.....

If you are a member of Microsoft Partnership program (I am) they e-mail you a Link to the download page that also has the key. I downloaded it Tue or Wed. and was going to install it but found out that Win7 doesn't have windows mail or Parental Control so I decided not to mess with it.

Hi fatboy,

checkout this screenshot and you can see the link for parental controls via the control panel (as well as the awesome GUI)...
It's true about the mail though but personally I now use live mail 2009 which is light years ahead, you should try it, I highly recommend it..

Any news on the board yet?
My Phenom arrives in 3-4 weeks wooot!

I've copied and pasted this from Fudzilla:

A few sources have confirmed that big OEMs such as HP, Dell and Acer, are pushing Microsoft to give them an OEM version of Windows 7 by Q4 2009. They all think that Windows 7 will push sales of new machines up, and they will desperately need such a push before Xmas season of 2009.

Microsoft has promised to deliver Windows 7, and since we got our first Beta on first week of January, Microsoft will have to be extremely fast to bring the retail version until Q4 2009. Usually it takes more than 9 months to finish the beta testing but since Windows 7 is actually a tweaked and fixed version of Vista, maybe they can pull this one off.

The retail version might not show up before Q1 2010, and this might indicate that retail version will be a bit more updated and tweaked, while OEMs will fix their first Windows 7 versions via Windows update. If Microsoft pulls this launch off for Q4 2009, this will also mean better sales numbers for Microsoft in what looks to be a very tough year for IT

Fudzilla

Xp may still have the edge in certain areas but it is(or should I say 'will') going the way of the dinosaur.. In fact this quote taken from the above article gets to the point rather well...

'quote'
Is your new quad core desktop pointless, then, since you're running Vista or Windows 7 on it instead of XP? No, not at all - the new operating systems offer features that Windows XP just can't hack. Moreover, as CPUs come out with more and more cores, the advantage XP maintains over its successors will drop precipitously.
'quote'

Amen and well put. Windows XP is definitely on it's downhill slope. And is the latest processor you buy really fully supported by XP, same with a lot of hardware now showing up and to come down the road in the future. Oh sure I have a copy of XP laying around and have had no interest at all in reinstalling it. Why, it will not support 64bit processing, and do not have any interest in going back to 32bit processing.

Microsoft has revealed to Paul Thurrott the different editions in which Windows 7 will ship. These are: Windows 7 Starter; Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows 7 Professional; Windows 7 Enterprise; and Windows 7 Ultimate. The Starter package is a stripped down version only recommended for things like netbooks, the Home Premium and Professional packages will be the mainstream consumer products, while Enterprise and Ultimate are the same, with the former a business product and the latter for consumers

Having problem with new post

I wrote a question but I have not seen it posted. What did I do wrong ??
zavier

Hello folks.

New to the Forum and look forward to the discussions.

I downloaded Win 7 about a month ago. It's sitting on an unused desktop, with apparently enough power to run it fine (2GB RAM, blah, blah).

Over and out.

Back