Windows 7 Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums

on Windows 7

I am wondering, why so many friends say that Windows 7 is better than Windows XP? can't figure out why... hope I can get some information here.....

Indexing

I'm a newbie at this but I hope you guys can help me.

I have just got a new pc with Windows7 oem Packard Bell iXtreme quad core etc etc I had a problem earlier trying to boot up the pc took at least an hour I kid you not,Windows tried to repair start up and seemed to be unsure which hdd to boot from, is there any way I can tell it to boot from c drive? I also have turned off INDEXING to speed up boot time is this safe?

Turning off indexing won't really improve the boot time.. I'd turn it back on.

It sounds like something has got corrupted.. Try booting from the 7 DVD and choosing repair at the install page.

If still no good try running the system file checker by opeing command prompt and typing:

sfc /scannow

Then press enter. System will then scan and repair if need be...

You could try system restore or press F8 whilst booting and choose 'last good known config'.

To improve your boot time type msconfig in the run box and then hit enter. Then check through the tab marked start up and uncheck anything thats not needed.

Dear All,
Just joining this forum to get new knowledge and sharing 'bout win7 as end user.
Would you assist me if any question, please?
Now, I use win 7 home premium 64 bit with ULV proc type.
Many thanks to admin for this opportunity.

Welcome to the windows7forums, everyone. :)

On the problem:

1. do not turn off indexing !

2. Try the repair option as Kemical has suggested and as it is illustrated here:

Windows 7 Startup Repair

(you may need to run it more than once)

If the repair option does not help, consider reinstalling 7, or recovering it from a backup if you have.

Je Win 7 rychlejsi ako XP?

Skusal ste niekto na svojom PC zmerat jeho vykon s XP a potom s WIN 7?

Preco vsetci pisu ako madar?

:redface::razz:Thank you so much for your wisdom I tried a repair & after 2 hours all was well until I did a restart anyway to cut a long story short, it transpired that is was a sdhc card that I'd had in my old vista pc that I thought I could use for readyboost, had somehow become corrupted!! I have tried to read it but windows won't acknowledge it. All is well in that department. HOWEVER I cant keep my wireless settings, every time I boot up I have to go control panel->network & internet->connect to a network & then select my router this is driving me mad!!! Do you know how I can keep my router settings so I can just connect without all this fuss. Thank you

Welcome to the windows7forums, everyone. :)

On the problem:

1. do not turn off indexing !

2. Try the repair option as Kemical has suggested and as it is illustrated here:

Windows 7 Startup Repair

(you may need to run it more than once)

If the repair option does not help, consider reinstalling 7, or recovering it from a backup if you have.

Skusal ste niekto na svojom PC zmerat jeho vykon s XP a potom s WIN 7?

Preco vsetci pisu ako madar?

Áno, bolo preukázané, že Windows 7 bude rýchlejšie ako Windows XP a Windows Vista v mnohých oblastiach .. :)

Existujú rôzne štandardy k dispozícii okolo čistej presne ukazujúci, koľko rýchlejšie a efektívnejšie Windows 7 je v porovnaní s Windows XP a Windows Vista. Ak si vyhľadávanie v Google, nájdete mnohé z týchto kritérií .. ;)

Nie som si istý, čo myslíš tým, posledná časť, ktorá umiestnite .. Ospravedlňujem sa, ale moje jazykové znalosti (okrem angličtiny), nie sú tak skvelé ..

Dúfajme, že to pomôže ..

Yes!! Forever, or until Microsoft obsoletes the product, whichever comes first
Does this mean that my Win 7 is activated forever?[/QUOTE]

A big hello to both Striver and RuralTexan.. :) Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy your stay with us at Windows 7 forums.com.

Hello from BC, everyone!

I have been using MS since the 8086 days, with occasional forays into Linux. I find myself enjoying Win 7 very much and I am looking forward to the learning curve. This forum has a good 'feel' to it. :)

Hi Al,
welcome aboard! MS veterans are always welcome and have to agree that using 7 (for the most part) is a blast.. :)

Just a quick-shout - "HI"!

Needed to find a forum that will hopefully answer some ?'s I have/will have about this Win & OS.

personally - i have my doubts about Windows 7 - mostly because those I know ho had it, weren't happy with it.

So we'll see!

I had just gotten this new rig; Acer AMD Atheon II 60Gb hd, 20" LCD screen Nvidia, 64 bit Win 7- last Thursday. It replaced my old XP. And it - "IS", old - lol about 4 y.o.

Well, see ya's around!

-charles

Back