Windows 7 Werfault and Windows 7

scruff

So I upgrade to Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit from Vista 64

It all went well until I tried to open a 32 bit programme. IE 64 opens okay, but that’s it. If I open any 32 bit programme (and some of the management programmes) I get werfault.exe*32 in the processes in the task manager. This spirals out of control, it had got up to 7,000 open processes on one occasion.

I have opened in safe mode and everything starts fine.

I have disabled all services at startup in Msconfig, and all the programmes will open.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Is the name of the .exe file really what you say or is this a translation problem? If it is really that name, I am guessing you brought a virus with you during the upgrade.

Was this a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Werfault.exe is a Microsoft Windows program that is used for automated reporting of problems in the Windows operating system. Many times end-users will become confused and think that Werfault is a form of spy or malware and attempt to delete the program. Unfortunately, when Werfault.exe is deleted, it can cause significant errors with the operation of the Windows operating system on your computer. To minimize the number of times that Werfault.exe is run on your computer when programs crash, you can disable problem reporting in Windows to stop Werfault.exe from running.

Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions

1. Step 1
    Go to Start > Run,. ad type services.msc
  2. Scroll down until you locate Windows Error Reporting service,. stop it,. and choose Disabled
  3. This will not fix the craashing problem,. unless you upgraded.

Last edited:
Well, I had to go check what a .exe *32 was since I don't run a x64 system. Looks like that is how a 32 bit process is annotated on a 64 bit system.

If it is a bonafide error reporting function and the OP gets 7000 of them, would that mean he is getting a lot of errors, or something is stuck in a loop?

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts like you're experiencing now.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

Back
Top Bottom