Windows 7 what do I need to control my family's PC from my laptop?

croatianchemist

Hi!

I have 3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
Laptop is my personal PC, desktops are from other fammily memebres.
Maybe I will add one more PC.

I would like to control desktops, deploy software and Win7 updates, control
user rights etc..

How can I do that and what do I need? Windows server edition on one of the computers?

Thanks

you dont need windows server edition

all you need is a progrmam there are a few, such as RealVNC , UltraVnc or Tight VNC

the thing to remember when you install it will ask what you want to install

SERVERS - THE PC YOU WANT TO CONTROL
VIEWERS - THE PC YOU ARE CONTROLLING FROM AND THE ONE YOU WILL VIEW FROM

you need to install all the servers on all the computers exept the one you are going to control from

you only need to install really 1 viewer

MAKE SURE NEAR THE END OF THE SETUP YOU REGISTER AS A SERVICE ETC, I WOULD LEAVE ALL BOXES TICKED

once you have them installed you need to configure them all

set a password on the server , this is to prevent people from connecting to your pc without permission, MAKE A GOOD PASSWORD

if you want them silently you need to make sure you turn off " remove windows wallpaper " etc so nothing is obvious

next you need to get the IP each of the computers that have the server on, You can either go to command promt and type ipconfig or go to google and type whats myip

remember each IP

THEN

you will need to make sure you have opened aa correct port IF you want to connect to the pc outside of the LAN area.

you can use the local ip if your staying LAN, you can get the local ip from either the router or from ipconfig in command prompt

also if your connecting outside of LAN then you need to ensure that the port you are useing (default 5900) is allowed in your firewwall as TCP/UPD inbound rules, and the same for your router

finally on the viewer pc you either enter ther lan ip or the actual ip obtained through thewebsite ( google, my ip blah blah) click connect

enter password and if all goes well you should be able to connect

Its not a easy thing to acomplish first time , once youy have done 1 you can do them all easily

i would work on 1 pc at a time

VNCs are amazing and they are amazing compared to windows remote desktop, you can send files etc without them knowing!

USE REPSONSIBLY!

thanks for advices, but that is not exactly what I want :)

let me describe it more precisly, I was not clear on my needs in previous post...my appologies..

For example, I want to install Office 2010, or IE9 on my 3 PC-s.

If I use VPC, MS remote software or teamviewer I still have to transpher instalation files and install remotly on every machine.

I want to run an installer of, say IE9, one time only and software is automatically installed on all 3 PC-s...not sure if it can be done...

Hi,

I think that you need to have a server and server software to do that - I dont know anything about that but if I am correct the software is quite a lot of dosh.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.

Regards

Basher

Back