What Does Cloud mean to us?

You're just having a bit of fun w/ us w/ this Big Brother stuff, right?

Well...lets just say there are certain things you could say thru email or on a talk board, chat board, or in docs stored remotely that would result in government agents showing up at your door wanting a word.

Use your imagination as to how they would ever possibly find out about what you said...

For some things, it's good. Some AV/IS solutions are using cloud technology to keep their subscribers protected with up to the second updates. Once bad code is found, all subscribers are protected. Webroot is such a provider, as I done some beta testing for them. Panda is another.

However, using cloud based AV's eats more bandwidth, making it less desirable for those who has caps on usage, such as those who has those cell based modems, where there's usually a 5GB/month limit.

Most of us knows that there are cloud based backup programs as well. However, it's my preference to keep it on the ground, on a hard drive. That way, I know where it is, and not in some mystery cloud. More than likely, down the road, the cloud will be a paradise for hackers.

And BTW, exactly where is this "cloud" at? That's the first thing that comes to my mind when this comes up, where is it? That's what it means to me, it's a mystery. I doubt that I'll trust it for backup purposes, but know that in some way or the other, I'm probably using it anyway.

Cat

Where is it? Good question, of course I don't have the answer. It could be over China, over Russia or over Washington D.C. for all we know. If nothing else, this has been a good exercise on what Cloud might or might not be. Big Brother, Little Brother (Hacker) who knows?

Well, if it's in DC, forget it. I want no part of it at all.

But I was serious, the first thing that comes to mind is "where is it?" Stored in satellites in space? I know that it's simply not floating in the sky.

There are some good things about cloud security, as more AV's are using the technology. But I'll still pass on the backups to it. I have 10GB of available space to me now that I don't use (knowingly). It wouldn't surprise me if some email providers goes to it completely. And cellular type ISP's could make use of it also.

But my backups will remain on my hard drives. I have a total of 2.25TB of backup space, and if I want (or need) to, I can easily add another TB by formatting one of my other TB drives that has nothing but older TechNet evaluation installs on it. Last this past December, that's what I bought that ThinkPad T42 for, were my older OS's. So that one HDD (a 1TB WD Caviar Black) is just in it's anti-static plastic case, sitting idle.

If I ever make any changes to my backup plan, it would be to add a network backup device, some will hold up to four 2TB drives. Probably enough space to last me a lifetime. And I'll know where my backups are.

Cat

I think we have some idea about cloud, if I might change direction a little. The end of the PC they say, what will replace it? Will the internet still be there? What will it cost after cloud is fully deployed? Is it foolish to buy a new PC? Will the government tax cloud by saying it is not the internet so therefore they have the right to tax it? I have the questions, hopefully you guys have the answers.

I feel that it'll be a long time before the cloud is fully deployed (all users adapting to it). The PC & Internet is going nowhere, regardless of talk. There are still plenty of cities waiting on the FIOS technology, so that we can get off cable internet. WiMax is still in the works (far better than Wi-Fi, with a 25+ mile range). Every home that I walk into has a PC (or two), so does every business, so does medical facilities & many other places. Tablets and hybrids (a combo of a notebook & a tablet) cannot do all of the work that a PC can.

No, it's not foolish to buy a new PC, in fact, when a new version of Windows is about to be released, there are many bargains to be found on both PC's & notebooks. Because the consumers prefers to wait until the new OS is released. Even though many OEM's give a free upgrade to the next Windows away for buying them, the average user doesn't know how to install an OS, so unless they're lucky enough to have a knowledgeable friend/relative, the upgrade disk is useless. Come this summer, is the time to buy a PC or notebook.

As far as the government goes, I don't have the answers to that. And probably never will.

Cat

"The Cloud", usually where my head is at, sorry, couldn't resist.
2mmh56u.jpg

Never used it, probably never will, don't like the idea of storing data files of sort, someplace I don't know where.
I'll keep my stuff where I can access them in seconds and I know exactly where they are.

Don

Back