Windows 8 What happens when I use W8 refresh/reset?

The Frederick

I know the basic idea of what they do, but specifically, when they say that all non-Metro apps will be removed, does that also mean that the installation folders will be deleted, or does it just remove the installation registry keys? I'm planning to reset Windows, and then use the installation folders to retrieve data I want to use and then reinstall my apps.

Hi

I'd like to point out for future use, that you can also do a conventional disk image in Windows 8, but it's not obvious.

If you look in control panel you will see, "Windows 7 File Recovery".

If you open this utility you will see that it is the Disk Image app from Windows 7.

You run it and create an image of your windows drive and any supporting partitions it will add the option to Restore a Drive Image to the recovery options along with Refresh and Reset. It will also create a bootable recovery DVD.

This will restore your system along with all of you installed software files and folders back to the same state it was in when you made the backup.

This seems like a better option to me than having all of your software disappear and have to be reinstalled again.

Mike

Back