Windows 7 What is $RECYCLE.BIN on portable SimpleTech disk

Landers

Honorable Member
I discovered what is called the $RECYCLE.BIN on a SimpleTech portable disk drive I use. It does not show up in the disk folder/file listing, but I can scan for it in the 'Find' routine (*recycle*.*)). What I am concerned with is that it may contain deleted files that need to be purged, but I can't see how to look at this $RECYCLE.BIN or delete any possible files. Anyone know what this $RECYCLE.BIN is and how to access it?Thanks.

It is normally a hidden file. The primary Recycle Bin on your desktop should show any files in it.

If you right click the Recycle Bin and select properties, is that drive listed? You should be able to set its size here.

Thanks. I didn't understand how that was working. It all goes to the main recycle bin. I guess I had never looked at the recycle bin when the portable disk was connected (TrueCrypt disk) or just didn't notice the different drive letters listed.

I think the deleted files do go to individual recycle bins, they just show in the primary one. If you want to see the actual folders, you have to set folder view options to show Hidden and System files.

That does make since and would be the reason why the bins show up only when the disk is connected.

Back