Windows 7 What is up with Steam.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I do not play games online, but it appears more games seem to require you log on before you can play. Since I really do not want this requirement, is there something that identifies such games I can see before I purchase them?

For instance, I got Batman and the box said Windows Live. So when I tried to install, I had to set up Windows Live which I do not want to do.

Metro 2033 just says "Games for Windows", and it requires Steam as does COD2. Currently I am installing Metro 2033 and even though I have the DVD, it is downloading over 7 GB for an "update."

I installed BFBC2 and it actually asked if I wanted to play on line and did not require an internet connection.

So, what might look for to be able to get games that do not use Steam or Windows Live?

Simple enough, its called google... read up about the requirements BEFORE you buy em, if your doing a spontaneous buy in a shop simply look at the box if says "internet connection required" that's often a sign you need to be logged in for some DRM online checkers such as steam or GFWL.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I am not sure doing a Google search will always help. I know Newegg does not seem to show "internet required" on the specification sheet.

I will try harder to check before I buy, but for now if it says Live I will not buy it.

I have two games that require STEAM, CoDMW2 and Metro 2033. CoD boldly states a network connection is required, but I see no mention of this on Metro 2033. Perhaps because Metro 2033 is a "Games for Windows" I should always assume a network connection will be required.

Don't ever take shops word for it, just google the game's own website for the real spec sheet, as for games for windows... yea they all use GFWL client for multiplayer games, although many have offline mode that wont require to be online for solo gaming, although newer ones may if they have any kind of stats to upload. For instance I play Fallout 3 which is GFWL and that's always played in a offline profile, and I usually play DIRT2 in offline too, although any sniff of multi and ya need to be hooked up.

Last edited:
Saltglass said:
I do not play games online, but it appears more games seem to require you log on before you can play. Since I really do not want this requirement, is there something that identifies such games I can see before I purchase them?

You can check Steam store, if it's there then most likely the game you purchase will require steam.

Saltglass said:
Currently I am installing Metro 2033 and even though I have the DVD, it is downloading over 7 GB for an "update."

I had this with Orange Box, (somehow) you may have chosen the wrong option. 7 Gb means that you will download the whole game, not just the updates.

If I remember right, I then reinstalled Steam client (not to have to download the whole game), installed the game fom DVD, and finally downloaded updates. I set my Steam to never check for updates, I update them once in a while only. It's very inconvenient to start a game and have to wait before the game finally starts after it applies all available downloads.

For instance, I got Batman and the box said Windows Live. So when I tried to install, I had to set up Windows Live which I do not want to do.

Windows Live is for keeping track of a gamers achievements and stats, much like XFire, just a little more tuned for the game itself. It also has the ability to take a games Key Code and validate it. If you log on, and you have friends on your list, then you can ask them about getting help with problems you are having in the game, or just for general help. It's not just for playing online. I know someone is going to say it, yes there are better options out there that do almost the same thing, yes there is software that dose almost the same thing, yes there are many other things that can be used to almost the same thing. I am not saying that it is the best option, I am stating the facts, this is what it dose.

Metro 2033 just says "Games for Windows", and it requires Steam as does COD2. Currently I am installing Metro 2033 and even though I have the DVD, it is downloading over 7 GB for an "update."

Steam is a wonderful thing. I like it cause you can get games and associate them with your user name, and no matter what happens to your system or any disks, you can always reinstall it from either Steam or a backup you make. The back ups can be stored on an external HDD or burned to CD/DVD. It also has achievements, groups, buddies, so on and so forth. I believe the reason games are moving to the requires Steam or Games for Windows Live Market, is because that is an easier way to distribute patches and updates for software. That means less work on the companies part, and you don't have to worry about, do I have the latest patches and updates. You just automatically do.

I set my Steam to never check for updates, I update them once in a while only. It's very inconvenient to start a game and have to wait before the game finally starts after it applies all available downloads.

I am bias on this point. I run my system 24/7, with my 8 messengers, Facebook, My Space, faction forum and Steam running from boot. With that I never have to visibly install updates, to any of my games. They are downloaded and installed when they are released. Most of the time I don't know it is happening until I get a pop up by my clock telling me Steam is done downloading updates. LoL That just reminded me I forgot to start it when I rebooted yesterday, ROTFLOL

So, what might look for to be able to get games that do not use Steam or Windows Live?

You can use OnLive (onlive.com) you don't need to use windows live nor steam to play games just make a account and log on then enjoy your games!

You can use OnLive (onlive.com) you don't need to use windows live nor steam to play games just make a account and log on then enjoy your games!

Streaming games over the web, still have to be on the web. Not only that if you loose web or network connectivity there goes the game. I'll stick to my Steam, doesn't require any cretin web access speed. But I have to admit that renting computer games is a really cool idea. Wish Game Fly or Steam would do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom