Windows 7 What is your experience with Windows 7 Beat 1 like so far ?

J

Jordan

Are you satisfied with everything, is everything you throw at it working like a charm ?

Me, everything seems fine except that stupid piece of shit Windows Live Messenger fails to sign in and the program closes automatically !

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/...sLiveMessengerStoppedWorking.png?t=1231736771

If anyone could help me out as well as explain to us your experience with Windows 7 Beta 1 thus far, then that would be tremendous ! :D

Thanks a million !

Jordan

Most of my applications from Windows XP do not install. It seems to have as much or more software incompatibility as Vista. Does seem to be more stable and faster, but it still seems only to be a brushed over Vista. It does not play well with XP computers on a home network. Many more cons at this point than pros. Vista networks with XP computers better than Windows 7.

Try running your XP Applications in compatibility mode of XP by right clicking>Properties>Compatibility> Windows XP (Service Pack 2) see if that allows the XP programs to work

Well, so far I've tried the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions. I'm running an AMD 9750 on a Gigabyte MA78GM-D2SH with 4G of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 and a XFX 7600GT. I should add that this hardware runs Vista, XP and Debian with no problems whatsoever.

Anyway, the 64-bit installed OK, but I found that it had a few issues that made it hard to deal with:

1) Couldn't download anything with Mozilla. The downloader would go through the motions, however, when I went to actually find/run what I had downloaded, it was nowhere to be found. Even the 'Open location' (or something like that) option was grayed out.

2) Could not load Flash pulg-in on IE 8 - both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE had the same issue.

3) AVG would not install. Just froze at various stages - with multiple attmepts at installing. It sort of half-installed: had an entry in Add/Remove programs listing, but error'ed on attempts to uninstall. So I tried Avast!...

4) Avast installed, but wouldn't actually run.

5) A few random shutdowns.

SO, not that all of these are killers; it IS beta, and I understand that. I just figured I'd give it a while to get some updates before trying 64-bit again.

As for the 32-bit; the install was also without issue. Every bit of software I've tossed its way seems to run perfectly well. BUT, it does tend to reboot quite often. I am using a KVM, as I have two other computers that I use. Most often the reboots happen when I'm switched away from the Win 7 beta machine - it doesn't always happen, and it doesn't always happen at the same time, but I can pretty much be assured that if I'm switched away for more than a few minutes, it's going to crash. And now and again, it will just black-out and crash on me right in the middle of doing something, with no real application to point to. Again, this is not nearly as frequent.

I wonder if anyone else has seen any of these issues...

Well, so far I've tried the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions. I'm running an AMD 9750 on a Gigabyte MA78GM-D2SH with 4G of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 and a XFX 7600GT. I should add that this hardware runs Vista, XP and Debian with no problems whatsoever.

Anyway, the 64-bit installed OK, but I found that it had a few issues that made it hard to deal with:

1) Couldn't download anything with Mozilla. The downloader would go through the motions, however, when I went to actually find/run what I had downloaded, it was nowhere to be found. Even the 'Open location' (or something like that) option was grayed out.

I am using FF 3.05 and dont seem to have any issues w/downloading...only prob is I created 2 profiles and in one of them, I am unable to utilize the google search function tab. Not sure if this is a Win Beta issue. You can try FF X64 or any other beta versions of FF. 2) Could not load Flash pulg-in on IE 8 - both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE had the same issue.

Seems to work in FF but not in IE8 3) AVG would not install. Just froze at various stages - with multiple attmepts at installing. It sort of half-installed: had an entry in Add/Remove programs listing, but error'ed on attempts to uninstall. So I tried Avast!...

Avast free version is working fine..... 5) A few random shutdowns.

SO, not that all of these are killers; it IS beta, and I understand that. I just figured I'd give it a while to get some updates before trying 64-bit again.

Ya, as long as we submit "feedbacks" , this issues should get resolved :) As for the 32-bit; the install was also without issue. Every bit of software I've tossed its way seems to run perfectly well. BUT, it does tend to reboot quite often. I am using a KVM, as I have two other computers that I use. Most often the reboots happen when I'm switched away from the Win 7 beta machine - it doesn't always happen, and it doesn't always happen at the same time, but I can pretty much be assured that if I'm switched away for more than a few minutes, it's going to crash. And now and again, it will just black-out and crash on me right in the middle of doing something, with no real application to point to. Again, this is not nearly as frequent.

I am using FF 3.05 and dont seem to have any issues w/downloading...only prob is I created 2 profiles and in one of them, I am unable to utilize the google search function tab. Not sure if this is a Win Beta issue. You can try FF X64 or any other beta versions of FF. 2) Could not load Flash pulg-in on IE 8 - both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE had the same issue.

Seems to work in FF but not in IE8 3) AVG would not install. Just froze at various stages - with multiple attmepts at installing. It sort of half-installed: had an entry in Add/Remove programs listing, but error'ed on attempts to uninstall. So I tried Avast!...

Avast free version is working fine..... I wonder if anyone else has seen any of these issues...
It maybe just in my mind but it seems after a few reboots the OS seems to be stabilizing????? *Edit* my replies are stuck in the quotes above>>>>>> darco

Last edited:
AVG is working fine on my machine. Then again, it is the x32 installation. Also happy to report that Photoshop CS3 Extended works perfectly with Win 7.:D

Yeah, AVG works fine on my 32-bit Win 7 install. The problems I had with apps were on the 64-bit version.

Most of my applications from Windows XP do not install. It seems to have as much or more software incompatibility as Vista. Does seem to be more stable and faster, but it still seems only to be a brushed over Vista. It does not play well with XP computers on a home network. Many more cons at this point than pros. Vista networks with XP computers better than Windows 7.

I have to disagree with most of this statement.. I have had no problems with any of the XP apps I've installed in Windows 7 Beta thus far and I've installed quite a few.. they all installed fine and have been working flawlessly... as for software incompatibility - Windows 7 Beta is not worse than Vista in this regard.. it has been handling anything I can throw at it problem free.. Vista even in it's current state can't pull that off... ;) Again, I strongly disagree that Win 7 is only faster than Vista by a small margin.. it's amazingly faster and overall performs circles around Vista AND XP! :) Not to mention the required system specs for Win 7 Beta are LESS then it takes to run Windows Vista.. so.. yeah.. hahaha.. As for the networking issue, I have XP set up on my gf's compy and so far haven't had any problems with networking the 2 comp's.. it took a little longer to get set up to my liking then I expected, I will admit that, but the overall network performance between XP and Win 7 is remarkable really imo.. I think to truly back up your second to last sentence I'd need to see a list.. ;) and in closing I will repeat what I have been saying for days now.. Windows 7 Beta is just that.. a BETA release (and a truly amazing one at that!)... therefor there WILL be issues, bugs, incompatibility, etc and as we all know the purpose of a BETA is to find these bugs/incompatibilities/issues so that they can be fixed by the final release... so don't be too quick to judge so negatively... ;)

Radenight (and any others reading), I was answering a question as to my initial impression of a beta 1 application two days into the application. I was not even making a prediction what my impression would be of the final product that will evolve from this beta. If no one points out problems and difficulties that they encounter with a beta product, those problems and difficulties will never be corrected and another Vista will result. As to my statement that there seem to be more cons than pros at this point is based on the feeling that if this beta 1 were the finished product I certainly WOULD NOT pay whatever price would be necessary to replace my current operating system.

Now for some specifics: (1) HP Photosmart C7280 printer driver fails to load announcing that I am trying to install on an unrecognized operating system. (2) Windows Home Server connector software loads and updates to PP1 and performs the nightly back-up, but I cannot access my saved folders from this computer (It lists itself as Vista Ultimate). (3) Broderbund Turbo Floorplan Home and Interior refuses to install. (4) Nero 7 Essentials refuses to install. All these applications are working normally on a mixture of XP and Vista machines on my home network.

The file system (how programs and files are organized, displayed, and accessed) is quite confusing, un-intuitive and difficult to understand. Little has been improved over Vista in this area. I have great difficulty finding instructions as to how to customize the desktop and GUI to suit my preferences. I do not find the option of a Windows Classic interface (desktop or folders). I cannot assign appropriate icons to internet shortcuts on my desktop (Windows assigns the generic Internet explorer icon to every internet shortcut and refuses to allow a change.) I am unable to find sufficient information to explain exactly what "homegroup" is and how to utilize it.

Now understand that I am not just grumbling to hear myself grumble and I know that some of these items just need some more learning on my part. I am pointing out things that I feel need to be corrected to make a hugely better OS. Heaven knows XP needed improvement, but Vista has proved to be a huge step backward in a lot of areas. I am trying to offer constructive criticism to help make Windows 7 something that I would pay money for to replace something that I already have and is paid for. Vista did not do that and hopefully someone will listen to the masses and Windows 7 will succeed where Vista failed.

Last edited:
Back