Windows 8 What Microsoft should do, but never will...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I was answering a question from someone who lost their Windows install disk but had their serial number today and I had this thought.

ISO files for Windows 7 are still available from Digital River with Microsofts blessings.

The could create a lot of good will if they just made a way for anyone with Windows 8 to register a Windows 7 install with a Windows 8 serial number.

Then anyone who really wanted to go back to Windows 7 could just download an ISO file for the Windows 7 and install it in the normal way and register it using the authentication for their Windows 8 installation on the same computer.

Then the people who really don't want to deal with Windows 8 wouldn't have to.

What would it cost them, they aren't selling Windows 7 anymore, and people would still have to have a copy of Windows 8, but they could do it on a new computer even before they install their software.

Mike

Hi

Looking back I see that I wasn't clear in my statement.
The person I was helping needed to reinstall Windows 7, but didn't have a DVD.
Which was no problem since the ISOs are all available, all you need to have is a serial number.
His computer is all up and running.

What I meant to say was: that made me think, that Microsoft could do a lot of people a favor and create a lot of good will if they would let anyone with a Windows 8 serial number install Windows 7 on their computer.

Either as dual boot or just to replace Windows 8 for those people who really do want to go back to 7 on their new computers.

Anyway thanks for the response.

Mike

Mike
They should do that with all of their systems until they reach end of life. Those ISOs should also be up to date with all the critical updates and service packs. I've slipstreamed XP and Windows 7. It's not hard to do if you can find update packs. I know with XP if you were very far out of date the repair install wouldn't work.
Joe

Back