Windows 7 What system information should I put in my user profile?

KCav45

Primarily I use a notebook computer and a desktop computer, but since I have two residences I have two desktop computers, and when my old notebook died I bought a replacement that uses the same hard drive. There are about 40 items in the user profile that pertain to system information. What should I do?

I appreciate the help given on this forum and I want to make it easy to find the details, maybe I should use links to the Cloud?

I'd keep a copy of each system profile handy and copy and paste the appropriate one in with any thread you start, which may require information on either the notebook or the desktop.

Hi patcooke, Here is my plan.
  1. My User Profile has fields that list information needed about my system. I printed the list and will fill one out for each system.
  2. plan to use Speccy to find the information
  3. Where should I store the information? What if I droped a Word document into my Dropbox folder? It should upload to Dropbox and I should be able to paste a link into a post. What do you think?

Sounds like a plan - a Word doc or even just a txt file in dropbox/cloud should be all you need.

Hi patcooke,

I appreciate the help you have given me and I would like to do a good job of asking questions. Here is a link to the details for my desktop computer stored in Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwx7wh58696ht0a/System Information for Gateway DT V1.docx?n=212564821

After I typed the information into a Word document I dragged the documnet to my Dropbox folder. Then I logged onto my Dropbox account on the Internet and found the file and opened it. I clicked Share and mailed a link to myself because I knew my email address. In the message section I said "Test." I went to my email and found it there, copied the web address for the document into this post. There is probably away to send the link to you directly, and if I did then I could attach a mesaage to it. This is a first try.

I am anctious to get started on the details for my notebook, but first could we go over the contents for the desktop? The information in color ink came either from Device Manager or off the device. The rest came from Speccy. I didn't know where to find information about DirectX version. I could install software that provides more complete information about temperature. I tried 3 times and didn't succeed at getting to BIOS setup, I'll figure that out but there is information in Speccy Summary that sounds important, for instance under NET Frameworks it shows five items are installed. Java Runtime Environment Path, Version,Update, Build are shown.

I kept the template I used and I will get started on using it for my Dell, Latitude E6400 notebook. Pleas advise me about your thoughts on this one for my desktop computer.

Thanks

Ken

Just curious -- what kind of info are you talking about here?

I can understand wanting to copy user profile folders like Documents, Pictures, Videos, Favorites and maybe 1 or 2 others, but beyond that, I am at a loss trying to understand what it is you're entering into the Word document.

I know that you mentioned system specs as well, but what would b the purpose to keep such information on hand? You can always run Speccy or on-board Windows executables like systeminfo, msinfo32, dxdiag, etc... to obtain system information. You also can get your system specs from the OEM (system mfg) support site at any time.

Again -- there is nothing wrong with what you're doing; I'm just trying to understand it.

I think the OP is wanting to know how or what to include in the way of system specs in his or her profile on this forum and presumably for more than one system??
At least that is what I got from the initial post... I could be wrong.

The reason for putting a detailed description of your system in your user profile is provide someone advising you how to install, configure, diagnose problems the necessary information. Open your User Profile by placing your pointer on your User Name and left click. When your Profile opens scroll down until you come to a list of items that describe the platform you are using. There are about 40 items starting with Operating System.

Hi Patcooke,

I prepared a detailed description of my notebook and stored in Dropbox along side a similar description of my desktop. The information will be handy for use in a thread about configuration issues involving these platforms.

While I was gathering the information I discovered by clicking the Start Button and searching for dxdiag I could find information about Direct X on my system.

Still looking for information abbout temperature. Items listed in the User Profile include CPU Cooling, CPU Idle Temp. Video Card Cooling, and Video Card Temperature. To find information I installed a program called Core Temp. Don't know what to make of the output from running the software. Over the past three years I have had two notebooks suddenly die like a burntout light bulb. Advise where to find information on temperature and how to interrupt it would be appreciated.

KC

Back