Windows 7 What/When is the next Win 7 release after 7022

tylerward

I've got my partitions all ready. Gonna reinstall Win 7 as a dual boot but I didn't like 7022, especially since they took ReadyBoost out of that build.

So I'd like to know....

WHAT is the next scheduled released build?
WHEN will it be around?
(Bonus question: How far along is MS atm? They at least past 7032?)

It is a small reason to dislike a whole OS.
The latest public version is the Beta - 7000.
It is strongly rumoured that an rc will be available through restricted sources,around early April. The rumours are rife that this may also be, at a slightly later date, a public release. I am inclined to doubt it.

Fwiw.
Superfetch and ReadyBoost are part of the same service now. Several improvements have been made to both and it has been hinted that there will be more in the RC & RTM. One obvious improvement is support for multiple ReadyBoost caches and caches over 4GB. Also, one big plus, Superfetch's disk activity is reduced.
Auto configurations are based on your hardware. In particular, if you have a *fast* SSD (as determined by the WinEI score), the Superfetch service will stop and mark itself demand-start because your machine does not have a disk bottleneck and these features are not useful to you. In that case, you will not be able to configure any ReadyBoost devices.

The latest public version is the Beta - 7000.
There's 7000 (the public beta) and 7022 (the leaked beta)

When do you guys suppose build 7032 will come out? I'm just waiting to get the next thing after 7022.

On hardware of 4GB or more I'm not sure what advantage Ready Boost would have anyway. Newer hard disks are quite fast enough and what type of typical applications are you running that you'd need this stuff in the first place.

What would be of far more use would be the old Power Toy feature which allowed up to 4 Virtual Desktops --if you are running several concurrent applications it's much nicer to be able to switch between virtual desktops each with their own backgrounds and applications running.

I'm typing this entry actually on a Train on a 4GB laptop running Windows XP PRO 64 Bit edition (with IE8 RC1 64 bit)

Even with Photoshop CS4, 4 EXCEL spread sheets, a Power point presentation and email working I've still got plenty of decent response time on the machine and plenty of RAM left.

Screenshot attached

Why on earth would I use Ready boost.

W7 X-64 will use slightly more resources than Win XP PRO 64 bit version but same considerations apply.

I "De-Vista'ed" this Laptop to install Win XP 64 Bit -- need computer for work so havn't risked this one with W7 yet. The Win XP 64 bit version Runs total RINGS around Vista even sp1 64 bit and backing up the entire image with all my stuff installed is only 7GB (compressed of course). Fits nicely on a 8GB USB stick.

Note if you "De-Vista" a computer for any version of XP or W2K3 server upgrade to SP2 at least and SLIPSTREAM the SATA drivers otherwise you'll get "No Hard Disks found". Use nlite for slipstreaming.

Get the Intel SATA drivers from the Intel site.

Extracte these SATA drivers(if you are using Intel chipset Intel 82801GR/GH, 631xESB/632xESB, 82801GHM, ICH8R/ICH9R, 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller). Download the floppy disk version --Yes not a typo and use the following link to extract the drivers from the .EXE file.

http://maxeasyguide.blogspot.com/2008/04/extracting-sata-driver-from-their-exe.html

Now slipstream these into your XP SP2 data. As before use program nlite for this as pointed out earlier.

Cheers
jimbo

Enc screenshot

There's 7000 (the public beta) and 7022 (the leaked beta)

When do you guys suppose build 7032 will come out? I'm just waiting to get the next thing after 7022.

I was only refering to the releases available to the public, legally.

I've got my partitions all ready. Gonna reinstall Win 7 as a dual boot but I didn't like 7022, especially since they took ReadyBoost out of that build.

So I'd like to know....

WHEN will it be around?
(Bonus question: How far along is MS atm? They at least past 7032?)

I'm not trying to sound like a smartass here.. but I have to ask.. why would you rather use Build 7000 instead of 7022? Build 7022 (yes I know it's not an official release and won't receive updates as it's just an internal build and blah blah blah..) is AFTER build 7000 therefore it is newer and has bugs fixed, some tweaks that 7000 didn't have.. and works alot better than build 7000 in direct comparison.. ;) If your waiting in line for the next build then it just seems kinda odd that you would rather use an older build than what's currently available (legally or illegally) (I'm speaking in general here.. as in wouldn't you rather use the newest available build if given the choice?)... ;)

I'm not a huge fan of the readyboost feature.. and I have to agree with another post in this thread that I don't think readyboost makes much of a difference on a rig that already has 4GB of ram.. :) (Sorry if yours doesn't have 4GB, I just mean in general...) But to each his own.. I'm curious though if MS will develop readyboost/superfetch any further or simply drop it... I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

And just to add to Kyle's comment.. The next release is scheduled to be the RC... but as far as a build number goes.. I wouldn't believe alot of the numbers that are floating around just yet.. ;) That's also something we'll just have to wait and see..

I don't want 7022 or any other "leaked" program. If Microsoft wants us to have it, they'll release it. Right now they are concentrating on 7000.

Leaked = Pirated.

I won't have cracked software on my computer. I don't need the headaches.

:)

I don't want 7022 or any other "leaked" program. If Microsoft wants us to have it, they'll release it. Right now they are concentrating on 7000.

Leaked = Pirated.

I won't have cracked software on my computer. I don't need the headaches.

Agreed. I guess I should have worded it a little better maybe.. ;) I just ment in general.. wouldn't anyone prefer to use a newer version of something over an older one.... ;) I was in no way saying he or anyone else should go out and illegally download build 7022..

Seeing how 7022 is a beta version, and 7000 is a free beta version, it would be kind of hard to call foul, or some kind of major crime.

It's pretty much common knowledge, so I wouldn't worry about it. Who knows, maybe Microsoft themselves leaked it.

Seeing how 7022 is a beta version, and 7000 is a free beta version, it would be kind of hard to call foul, or some kind of major crime.

It's pretty much common knowledge, so I wouldn't worry about it. Who knows, maybe Microsoft themselves leaked it.

I was also thinking that was a possibility... ;) I could see them doing that...

I'm not trying to sound like a smartass here.. but I have to ask.. why would you rather use Build 7000 instead of 7022? Build 7022 (yes I know it's not an official release and won't receive updates as it's just an internal build and blah blah blah..) is AFTER build 7000 therefore it is newer and has bugs fixed, some tweaks that 7000 didn't have.. and works alot better than build 7000 in direct comparison.. ;) If your waiting in line for the next build then it just seems kinda odd that you would rather use an older build than what's currently available (legally or illegally) (I'm speaking in general here.. as in wouldn't you rather use the newest available build if given the choice?)... ;)

Actually, I don't want to install Build 7000 or 7022. I took a test (for a website) where I used Windows 7 beta build 7000 and used it as a Primary OS. The only *problem* was, trying to play a game was just to difficult, Had to do this or that and it wasn't worth it. Yes, I do have 4GB -- of VERY good RAM I might add -- however, READYBOOST or SUPERFETCH is just interesting to me because I like the idea of using USB ports to speed up our system and I think in the future that'll be a big thing. The reason I was done when I upgraded to 7022 is my time was up for the experiment.

However, now that I'm back on Vista as a primary, I like it. I wanna see if anything exciting evolves with Vista before moving on. Wanna see if SP2 offers anything new. I wanna use Windows 7 RC1 as a way to get familar before it comes out. It helps with my line of work.

And djbryan, I agree... if it's leaked it's pirated. However though, if Microsoft says it's ok and they don't mind us using it, than I won't say no to that. But otherwise, yes, leaked is pirated. Thank you for clarifying that.

........I might add -- however, READYBOOST or SUPERFETCH is just interesting to me because I like the idea of using USB ports to speed up our system ................

I think you haven't understood ReadyBoost or Superfetch judging by the above remark.

1) Lets take ready boost first -- all this does is use a USB device for system paging first compared with the normal page file. In general (but not always true) access to the USB device is quicker than a hard disk page file especially if you are on a laptop where you only have 1 physical hard disk even if you've partitioned it.

It Makes absolutely ZERO sense to use this if you have plenty of RAM or even more than 1 drive -- just move the page file off the physical disk that holds the OS. With a decent amount of RAM your computer is unlikely to suffer from paging problems.

2) Superfetch merely pre-loads applications it thinks you usually use when you start the computer. It keeps some sort of record as to what you use a lot and will keep this in its "database". This is often why VISTA systems in particular do a lot of I/O when first installed as the system is trying to build a profile of what you are doing and it doesn't have any history in its database.

Once its gathered some statistics it then "pre-loads" these applications when the system is booted. This means that bootup will take slightly longer but the application will start quicker.
For myself I don't think this feature is worthwhile but of course YMMV. (Each to their own).

But PLEASE understand the base concepts before posting stuff that is just technically dubious at best or totally incorrect at worst. There's no way Ready boost would be of ANY use on say an 8GB RAM Quad core system for example.

Even if you had significant paging with that system (You'd have to be running more concurrent applications on your desktop than you could probably keep track of) the response time would be so insignificant compared with typical user input you wouldn't even notice it.

Gaming is CPU intensive (highly) and needs the fastest CPU, largest amount of RAM possible (for 64 bit games) and the best graphic card you can get -- ready boost here would also be a total waste of time.

Decent hard disks also help. There's no point in having a fast CPU, decent RAM and graphics and rubbish hard disks.

Forget Readyboost --it's a dinosaur.

Cheers
jimbo

thanks for that info jimbo45. You said something about moving the paging file from my Local Disk to another Disk. My Local Disk is SATA and my MAIN BACKUP drive (D:) is on IDE.

So if I were to put C's paging file on D, my system would go faster?

Build 7000 VS. 7022

I'm not trying to sound like a smartass here.. but I have to ask.. why would you rather use Build 7000 instead of 7022?

>Radenight: Since I've upgradet from Build 7000 to 7022 (don't ask where I've got it), my system has got very unstable, in fact Windows itself considers the stability as low as 1 (on the scale from 1 to 10). There are lots of issues, and they all started after upgrading.

Most annoying: I haven't been able to make a system backup since the upgrade, most of the time, windows complains too little space on the drive, windows is installed on (C:\), asks for at least 400 MB - I've got 16 Gigs of free space there. Other error messages: Too little space on the drive I want to backup to (cleaned the drive, deleted earlier backups, shouldn't have doine that, and the drive holds 60 GB of space).

Furthermore the WMP network synchro funktion (don't remember the exact name) insists on starting, can't find a way to prevent i from doing, and constantly complaines about stopping to work. I have postet another tread in the Windows Software section about it. Besides that, Internet explorer (RC1) is instable as a rollerscater on LSD and a bottle of Vodka. Stops to respond or freezes completely, so I haven't other options than to use the taskmanager to close it down. Firefox 3.06 and 3.1b works more reliable.

So IMO the Build 7022 is a huge steb backwards, my experience with Build 7000 was completely different and much more positive. And I expected an increase in reliability as I upgradet to Build 7022, but no such thing!

So if anyone knows the best way to downgrade to 7000 again, without loosing settings and files, I would appreciate a little message.

TIA

The next leak will likely be the RC near the end of March.
Thanks for being the only person who answered my question - - Kyle didn't!

Don't want 7022 or any other "leaked" program. If Microsoft wants us to have it, they'll release it. Right now they are concentrating on 7000.--Agreed.

Seeing how 7022 is a beta version - It is not. It is an internal build.

>Radenight: Since I've upgradet from Build 7000 to 7022 (don't ask where I've got it), my system has got very unstable, in fact Windows itself considers the stability as low as 1 (on the scale from 1 to 10). There are lots of issues, and they all started after upgrading.

Most annoying: I haven't been able to make a system backup since the upgrade, most of the time, windows complains too little space on the drive, windows is installed on (C:\), asks for at least 400 MB - I've got 16 Gigs of free space there. Other error messages: Too little space on the drive I want to backup to (cleaned the drive, deleted earlier backups, shouldn't have doine that, and the drive holds 60 GB of space).

Furthermore the WMP network synchro funktion (don't remember the exact name) insists on starting, can't find a way to prevent i from doing, and constantly complaines about stopping to work. I have postet another tread in the Windows Software section about it. Besides that, Internet explorer (RC1) is instable as a rollerscater on LSD and a bottle of Vodka. Stops to respond or freezes completely, so I haven't other options than to use the taskmanager to close it down. Firefox 3.06 and 3.1b works more reliable.

So IMO the Build 7022 is a huge steb backwards, my experience with Build 7000 was completely different and much more positive. And I expected an increase in reliability as I upgradet to Build 7022, but no such thing!

So if anyone knows the best way to downgrade to 7000 again, without loosing settings and files, I would appreciate a little message.

TIA

The reason your having so many problems with Build 7022 is most likely because you upgraded instead of doing a clean install.. I don't see the point of upgrading in the first place but it really doesn't make sense to 'upgrade' from a BETA to another BETA... ;) I'd suggest doing a clean install of build 7022.. I'm willing to bet you won't have the same problems if you do it that way... Also, from the sounds of it you need to take a look at some of your drivers and make sure you've installed the right ones.. I did clean installs on all 4 of my PC's when I went from build 7000 to 7022 and all 4 are working flawlessly and much better than build 7000.. and I know I'm not the only one that is having a good experience with build 7022.. :)

I've just installed Build 7022 X-64 on 2 machines - one via upgrade (not from W7 X-64 but from VISTA Ultimate X-64) and one via clean install.

No probs to report so far.

I did an upgrade from VISTA on one machine as I wanted to see what would run without any re-installation.

IE8 RC1 is definitely better but still no flash for 64 Bit (Adobe problem rather than Microsoft).

There seem to be a few more drivers.

BTW I'm not sure what happens if you downloaded from a "non official source" and you use the Send Feedback option -- that's your risk of course but I suppose with the amount of replies Microsoft are receiving there probably is much too much data to check the source of the OS .

Cheers
jimbo

Ive got build 7048 activated and its awesome amazing windows unfortunitly it runs out in august but by then the retail will be ready for download.

Back