What's wrong with my resolution???

I just finished installing Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC with NVIDIA graphics (processor is an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2000 MHZ) and my screen resolution looks terrible. Where it was once crisp and clear on Windows Vista, it's now huge, blocky and blurry even after I upped the resolution to 1024x768 which is the highest resoution offered to fit my monitor. I also switched the colour to 16 and back again, and this too did nothing. It also tells me when I try to set a screensaver I need a new video card or one compatible with Direct3D. My laptop is only a year old and worked perfectly with Vista, I shouldn't need a new video card. Why does it look like Windows Basic when I have Windows 7 Professional and is there any other way besides reverting back to Vista that I can fix the problem?

Last edited:
Try this:

Click "Start" and type and enter "ap" to enter the appearance menu. Click "best performance" then go back
to "Let Windows choose.."

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.