Windows 7 Where is Software Explorer?

GreyBat

Sorry if someone has already asked this - can't believe no-one has! - but I've searched the forums and can't find anything...

Where is the Software Explorer tool from Windows Defender? Particularly the tool to manage Startup programs?

I agree in Vista it was awkwardly positioned since you needed Defender running to find it, so I could understand it being moved. But where to? Something I read said it had been replaced by Performance Monitor. Well, I think I found that, but I can't find any equivalent in it to manage my startup programs. (I know I could also use msconfig, but Software Explorer is so much better!)

If it's gone in this Beta, are there plans to revive it later?

From Windows7 Help & Support...abrifiated version:

Software Explorer is not included in this version of Windows.

They suggest downloading Sysinternals (now Microsoft) Autoruns program. it can be downloaded here:
Autoruns for Windows

By the way, this is a very powerful program which allows you to disable many Windows features, so be careful.

Thanks, Reg(!), for the information. I've used Autoruns in Vista, and it does the trick. Still liked the Software Explorer, though!

If all you were using it for was startup programs why not use msconfig? just open run (Winkey+r) and type "msconfig" in without the quotes. Then just click on the start up tab and change things from there.

One reason I don't like msconfig is that its main purpose is to support temporary configuration changes to support troubleshooting. If you ever have to turn of all startup programs, you then have to repeat the process of sorting out which one you want to run and which you don't every time you turn them on again. I don't THINK you had that problem with the old Software Explorer - if something was disabled there, is didn't show up in msconfig. Could be wrong about that, though. I know you don't with Autoruns - if it is disabled in the Logon tab, it doesn't appear in msconfig.

One reason I don't like msconfig is that its main purpose is to support temporary configuration changes to support troubleshooting. If you ever have to turn of all startup programs, you then have to repeat the process of sorting out which one you want to run and which you don't every time you turn them on again. I don't THINK you had that problem with the old Software Explorer - if something was disabled there, is didn't show up in msconfig. Could be wrong about that, though. I know you don't with Autoruns - if it is disabled in the Logon tab, it doesn't appear in msconfig.
Ah ok. I don't really do that much with startup programs so I wouldn't know the specifics. :)

Before deleting any keys, when you reach the startupreg key, choose File > Export from Registry Editors menu and save the file to your desktop (just for safety purposes. I've never had a problem doing this, but if you inadvertently delete something you want back, you have a copy of the key before any changes are made.

To remove all those unchecked boxes under msconfig, (and there may be many) you can get rid of them using the Registry Editor.

Assuming you will never activate these entries again, go to Start > Run, and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, scroll down to the Software key, scroll down to the Microsoft key, scroll down to Shared Tools, scroll down to msconfig, click the stratupreg key and delete the entries you'll never activate again. The entries will not show up the next time you run msconfig.

Yea, I hear you

That was basically for people who don't want to download Autoruns.

I should have stated it more clearly.

Back
Top Bottom