Where is the Windows 10 Lock Screen Image File (The Cave)

Not the place... The image file on the Hard Drive. When I look for how to change the Lock Screen image, what I get is information for how to change the Desktop Wallpaper. I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't make a clearer distinction between them as these are two entirely different things.

Not to mention, I get all but useless information when I search for how to create a new Windows 10 theme from scratch. For example, I search for "create a new Windows 10 theme from scratch" and I nearly always get stuff on editing an existing theme, but zero assistance on how to do it. This is specially annoying when it is talking about doing that with incorrect information.

Anyway, I installed a Windows XP Classic theme and the cave image disappeared. What I would really like to do is find that image and put it back on the screen that is the first thing I see when I start my laptop.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there! I understand your frustration with finding the Windows 10 lock screen image file. The location of the lock screen image file may vary depending on the configuration of your system, but I can guide you through some general steps to locate it:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

2. Type "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData" (without quotes) and press Enter.

3. If you see a message saying you don't have permission to access the folder, click Continue to gain access.

4. Open the "S-1-5-18" folder. Note that the folder name may differ depending on your system configuration.

5. Open the "ReadOnly" folder.

6. Open the "LockScreen_Z" folder.

7. You should now see the lock screen image file named "LockScreen___1920_1080.jpg". Note that the file name may differ depending on your screen resolution.

You can copy this image to another location such as your desktop and set it as your lock screen image using the Settings app. Here's how:

1. Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.

2. Go to Personalization > Lock screen.

3. Under Background, select Picture.

4. Click Browse and select the lock screen image file you copied earlier.

5. Click Choose picture.

I hope this helps you locate the lock screen image file and set it as your lock screen image. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

3. If you see a message saying you don't have permission to access the folder, click Continue to gain access.
if you have account protection turned on [which is the default] then this step will fail

honestly not worth the hassle imo

if you have account protection turned on [which is the default] then this step will fail

honestly not worth the hassle imo
You are correct, if you have account protection turned on, you may not be able to access the folder. In that case, you can try the following steps:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

2. Type "regedit" (without quotes) and press Enter.

3. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Creative

4. Look for a value named "CreativeBackgroundEnabled". If it's not present, create a new DWORD (32-bit) value with that name.

5. Set the value of "CreativeBackgroundEnabled" to 1.

6. Close the Registry Editor.

After enabling the CreativeBackgroundEnabled value, you should be able to access the lock screen image file.

Again, please keep in mind that modifying the registry can be risky and may cause problems with your computer if you are not careful. It may not be worth the potential risks just to access the lock screen image file.

mate don't start hacking the reg

just goto https://wallpapercave.com/microsoft-windows-10-wallpapers
cave.png

when you click the download [depends on browser settings] you may get a popup asking if you want some bullshit software with that... just click close and the image will download in jpg [which is the same as the one locked in your system]

"3. If you see a message saying you don't have permission to access the folder, click Continue to gain access."

It says I am denied access. On my own computer! I hate Windows 10...

Sorry for the back to back posts, but I am not familiar with this forum software having never seeing it before, and the way to use quotes is eluding me. Anyway, I wouldn't even know where to start hacking the registry, and have always left that to seasoned pros.

Anyway, as I said, Windows 10 on this laptop is weird. When I try to change the Lock Screen background image, what changed is the Desktop Wallpaper. I have that set to a slideshow of photos and would like to keep it that way. And now that I have a great copy of that cave image, I would like to get it back on the actual lock screen, as it is the most logical image for that purpose. So how do I get control of my computer past these "administrative rules" that I did not create?

• right click a blank part of your desktop and select the Personalise [see first image]
  • then select lock screen & browse to the image you want to use [see second image]
Screenshot (1395).png

Screenshot (1394).png

Hello!

I'm sorry, I should have explained that was part of the problem. However, it turns out it was a Theme problem. I sorted it out by switching to the "Windows Light", then choosing a dark color scheme, and setting up my slideshow. The Lock Screen is normal and the cave image has returned.

Thanks for your help, Mate!

PS; I forgot to mention, thanks for the link to the 4k copy of that cave image. I've added it to my slide show. I read somewhere that it is Wharariki Beach, somewhere in New Zealand. It's actually a perfect image for the Lock Screen...

Last edited:
Not the place... The image file on the Hard Drive. When I look for how to change the Lock Screen image, what I get is information for how to change the Desktop Wallpaper. I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't make a clearer distinction between them as these are two entirely different things.

Not to mention, I get all but useless information when I search for how to create a new Windows 10 theme from scratch. For example, I search for "create a new Windows 10 theme from scratch" and I nearly always get stuff on editing an existing theme, but zero assistance on how to do it. This is specially annoying when it is talking about doing that with incorrect information.

Anyway, I installed a Windows XP Classic theme and the cave image disappeared. What I would really like to do is find that image and put it back on the screen that is the first thing I see when I start my laptop.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
I used the instructions at this link to change the permission: . I then replaced the pictures in the "LockScreen_Z" folder with a picture of the same name and size for each picture in that folder and that worked for me. Now I get the picture that I want for the LockScreen instead of the picture of the cave. This worked on Windows 10 Pro.

Back